Love is like a Bomb | Teen Ink

Love is like a Bomb

By Vicci BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana
Vicci BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana

Yesterday was a below-mediocre day, considering that hours ago I was found dead in a foreign country. In the beginning of my story, I was on my way to Hungary for spring break. Everything was fine until I boarded the plane. My ticket with my name Jessica Thompson was a pretty good seat, my bag did not surpass the weight limit, and I was on time for everything. I entered the plane without a dilemma, which was a pretty good feeling. As I sat down in my assigned window seat, I was glad to find out I did not have any middle-aged man waiting for me to be his neck pillow. Instead came a fierce-looking young man, about my age, in jeans and a polo shirt. He gave me a look, and as I returned the glance and smiled, he continued putting his luggage away. “Well, this is going to be a quiet flight.” Chapter 1: Love is like a Bomb Yesterday was a below-mediocre day, considering that hours ago I was found dead in a foreign country. In the beginning of my story, I was on my way to Hungary for spring break. Everything was fine until I boarded the plane. My ticket with my name Jessica Thompson was a pretty good seat, my bag did not surpass the weight limit, and I was on time for everything. I entered the plane without a dilemma, which was a pretty good feeling. As I sat down in my assigned window seat, I was glad to find out I did not have any middle-aged man waiting for me to be his neck pillow. Instead came a fierce-looking young man, about my age, in jeans and a polo shirt. He gave me a look, and as I returned the glance and smiled, he continued putting his luggage away. “Well, this is going to be a quiet flight.” I thought to myself. Soon, the plane took off and I took out my book to begin reading. As I was flipping through my book to find the page, the man next to me who had just sat down, reached out his hand. He then terminated the awkwardness with “Hello, I’m Tobias. Nice to meet you.” I shook his hand and introduced myself as well. “What brings you to Budapest?” I asked Tobias.
“ My Friend and I are coming here just to tour the city. You?” he answered.
“I’m doing the same thing but for spring break.”
He nodded “ The music there is supposed to be really good. Everyone tells me about it!” “
Me too,” I replied, “ I love the music of the rainforests,” I told him.
“Are you copying me or what?” Tobias laughed. “Maybe.” I teased him back.
And, that was the rest of the flight, Tobias and I laughing and getting to know each other. I even wished tomorrow would not arrive because I thought would never see him again. He was just such a nice guy. I admonished myself for thinking that, because I just met the guy, and I did not know his plan. I also remember an irate man on the plan having a fit because the pillows were too cheap, we found that funny because we had both brought our own pillows, another reason of me copying Tobias. As our flight ended, we walked each other to the gate saying our goodbyes. “We should really keep in touch,” I told him. He just nodded, which was odd especially since we talked for hours on the plane a few moments before that. I shook it off and awkwardly watched for my bag. As the bags trailed in I saw a gray polka dot bag, but before I even thought to move, Tobias said, “Hey, look it’s my bag.” I answered him, “Oh, it really looks like mine. Can you double check?” He began to look, “Yup! I’m sure. Here’s my number if you want to meet up later. Good luck!” and Tobias quickly disappeared into the long busy hallway. I grabbed an identical looking bag and stepped outside as I felt my long brown hair fell free again from the bun it was in. I hailed my taxi cab, told the man my destination, and rode off. I kept hearing the tick of something, and I looked everywhere. It was not my watch or phone, but the noise was there. I even asked the man if he heard it as well. "Nah, my love it must be something in the car." the man said with a heavy accent. During the ride, I could not stop thinking what the noise could possibly be and why it bothered me so much. I finally arrived at my hotel, checked in with the register, and sat on my bed. I kept hearing the ticking noise. "Ugh! What the heck is that?!" I screamed. I walked over to my suitcase and opened it up. "Ummm..." I saw old men's clothing and newspaper. Then the noise grew louder and louder. I threw everything out and found a huge box surrounded by wires and wires and a little digital clock. It was counting down. It was a bomb! As soon as I realized it, the bomb was at 3, 2, and then 1. I died in that moment, and no one, especially Tobias, will ever forget.