Leichtigkeit;Ease | Teen Ink

Leichtigkeit;Ease

The sensation of relaxation filled the Usedom beach and the people staying on it. The sunset grabbed everyone's eyes with its flashy orange beauty and kissed the edge of the water. Lieselotte stretched her long shiny arms on the steamy sand and admired the nice breeze that filled the air. The conditions were just right causing a small chorus of squeaks to sound from the sugar-white grains of sand. Her only son, Kaiser, splashed through the water giving a smile that could last forever. Her husband, Heinz, stood with a striking posture presenting his gutes aussehen; good looks. They had been to this beach many times before making it their one place to go when life wasn’t exactly on the tippy top of the world.
Often times, life was a blur. Even when things seemed to be ordinary, there was always another way to look. Lieselotte always had a way of looking on the bright side in tough situations. Her light blue eyes looked beyond the trouble to find the peaceful part that was not always shown to the world. Kaiser was inherited the foolishness of his father and the great empathy his mother held. Besides his looks, the one thing that really stuck out from Heinz was his patience. When times were hard, panic never aired, but the sweet calmness stuck out. Waiting for things to be better. It was perfect enough to say that they all had the right number of puzzle pieces that fit just right.
As time moved on, things started to change. As a matter of fact, they weren’t good changes. A sickness was spreading all through the northeastern part of Germany, causing panic to arise all through the area. It was difficult to keep positive in such a catastrophic situation leading to horrific times. Trust of others was soon evaporating and the sense of relaxation that use to fill the air, was moved to great terror.
The sickness soon creeped it’s way into their very own house, right on the edge of Neubrandenburg. It was spine-chilling to imagine how far the sickness had traveled, and how much farther it could go.
Unfortunately, it latched onto the young boy. The journey that had to be taken wouldn’t be an easy one. Keine Heilung führt bald zu keiner Hoffnung; no cure lead to no hope.
With such an unexpected situation, no one was prepared. It was no ordinary cold or flu, but a strong illness that could change the face of the earth. It was definitely changing lives like Kaiser himself. Anxiety worsened the side effects giving power to feel every single pound or bump.
His face was soon fading into an atrocious shade of bruised up purple and blue, that almost matched the color of his hands. His muscles tightened up to every movement he attempted, adding severe pounds to his steaming forehead.
“Alles wird besser.”
Things will get better Kaiser thought in his native language.
Lieselotte always voiced the phrase when times weren’t the best. It imposed the idea that calmness still aired the throne with such a flow, that it almost seemed natural. Her voice matched her words and personality so perfectly as that it resembled a sparkling blue bird with temptation of perfection.

Time is a circus, always packing up and moving away. The sickness was worsening and life as they knew it, started to crumble down to dust. Lieselotte kneeled down onto the edge of the bed where Kaiser laid. She gently embraced his hand and for a moment she saw peace in his eyes. A single tear emerged from her eye after Kaiser whispered, “Es ist okay mutti. Sei nicht traurig.”
Don’t be sad were the last words he muttered accepting his own death.
Lieselotte needed to find Heinz . She ran to their room only to find herself dropping to her knees. Tears running down her face. Heinz laid on the cold hard floor coughing with dismay. He looked up and motioned her over sensing softness. Lieselotte knew that what needed to be said would be the last thing Heinz would want to hear before his own death. She helped him onto the bed and sat down embracing his hand just like Kaisers. A huge inhale and long exhale would calm her down enough to make sense as she spoke.
“Warum hast du es mir nicht gesagt?”, Lieselotte whispered ever so strictly but gently. Even though she was upset as to why he did not tell her he was sick, she knew the best way to handle this a devastating situation was to keep patience.
He leaned up against his pillow and squeezed her hand as he spoke.
“Aufmerksamkeit benötigt bleiben auf Kaiser. Nicht ich.” He wanted all the attention to to go towards the cure his son held, and not himself. It was such a heroic thing to do in his mind. If enough care was given, there could be the possibility of Kaiser surviving.
Lieselotte knew he had no information on the event that just occured making it harder for her to tell him. She looked down as he started to close his eyes ever so softly and choke on his own breathe.
Sadness grew through the whole country. Lieselotte sat on the edge of the bed she use to share with her husband, grieving in her own sorrow at what her life had come to. She thought of visiting the gracious beach that use to fill her bucket when it was empty. She pulled out her shiny silver bag and started stuffing every item that would be suitable for the trip. Excitement was pounding through her heart knowing she would feel at ease as soon as she stepped on the famous squeaking sand.
There she stood. Staring over the horizon feeling as if her life had just became a little bit better. She glanced up at the sun and began to daydream about all the memories her family shared on this very beach.
The sensation of relaxation filled the Usedom beach and the people staying on it. The sunset grabbed everyone’s eyes with its flashy orange beauty and kissed the edge of the water. Lieselotte stretched her long shiny arms on the steamy sand and admired the nice breeze that filled the air. The conditions were just right causing a small chorus of squeaks to sound from the sugar-white grains of sand. Her only son, Kaiser, splashed through the water giving a smile that could last forever. Her husband, Heinz, stood with a striking posture presenting his gutes aussehen; good looks. They had been to this beach many times before making it their one place to go when life wasn’t exactly on the tippy top of the world.

My story is based in Germany because my grandmother is german and is someone who can help me with translation. I feel like other languages spark interest because it's a way to compare it to the language they speak. Engages the audience to try to pronounce the new language and have a little fun with it.