The Email | Teen Ink

The Email

By Ethan_H BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa
Ethan_H BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Being forgotten is one of the worst feelings of all. Yet it is one of the most common feelings for people like me. I try desperately to fit in and calm myself, but I am always left out. Eventually I find friends that I fit in with, but even they leave me and forget about my existence.
I am not bitter about it. I am not sour about it. I’m left out for a reason. That’s what I tell myself at least. I tell myself that the reason I’m forgotten is my fault. I tell myself that I’m too plain and boring. That I’m not talented or unique. I just blend into the unknown. I grow accustomed to the exclusion. At least I was, until one email. I sent one email to a friend that I hadn’t known very well because they were suffering from some sad events. In the email I apologized for it and complemented them on their actions and features. After the one email, it kept going. We kept talking and getting to know each other better and better. We would help each other out back and forth.
The strangest and most difficult thing about these emails was that I was told that I was important and that I belonged. And for once I felt complete and included. I felt like maybe there was a place. This chain of emails taught me the power one email had. Now I send the most honest and genuine emails to everyone of my friends. Because the power of one email could save someone’s life. Just like me.

I wrote this because I wanted to push how one thing can change the perspective of someone else.