80 degrees | Teen Ink

80 degrees

By JaderBug BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa, Iowa
JaderBug BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa, Iowa

Photoagrpher who finds each picture desireable.

Chapter 1: 80 degrees

It was cold and almost winter in most places, but where I live it was basically summer always hot and tons of fun things to do. In southern California is where I live and it gets hot, today is 88 degrees with a high chance of 100. My life is pretty easy to explain so here it is, I’m 18 I love taking photos of things, and people so my job is photography. I live alone but by choice, I get things done when I’m by myself. But I do have a boyfriend who lives next door so I mean pretty convenient. I was in my apartment when I got a call from my best friend Callie.
  “Hey, you know that mall they just built down by the forest ? I was wondering would you come down here and hangout with me for a little?” she says in sweet voice because she knows I don’t have to work until six.
“Of course, I would never miss the chance.”  so I answer back It took me 20 minutes to get to the new mall. It’s pretty big with tons of my favorite stores all in one. I found Callie and we started walking through mall, there's so many things to do and I only have 3 hours.
“Ok, so we did some shopping. Do you wanna go get food?” as I start to answer her, I get an alert on my phone of a forest fire close to me at first I didn’t think anything of it until I started seeing smoke. Eventually Callie was ahead so I yelled her name “Callie, come here” she rushes towards me “What’s wrong?” I start pointing, she whips around and see the monstrosity of the fire. The fire comes raging through the trees eating it up like a predator eating its prey. I start taking pictures because the flames are as bright as the sun and as hot as outside times three. “Let’s go! What are you waiting for?” she grabs my hand and we start running, the fire is getting bigger by the minute. The fire with it’s bold, bright colors starts to consume everything in its path, were almost to the door when the metal started getting really hot and it started melting.
I could hear Callie screaming.  “Help help us, we’re stuck” breathing uncontrollably
“It’s gonna be ok just, breathe” I could hear people yelling and asking if we were ok. The building starts to burn and burn fast as it eats the wood and metal. “I can’t, Callie. I’m done, I give up. There’s no way out. We can’t leave.” I say with tears trickling down my cheek. “What the hell do you mean you give up. You can’t we’re gonna be ok. I promise.” Too many promises and this one can’t be kept, especially since I don’t see anyone helping.
“Hey, you ladies ok?” I hear a faint light and soft voice, I open my eyes and ash everywhere flowing about. I can’t talk, my throat is so dry.  I need water, I look over to my right and can faintly see Callie. She’s sitting in an ambulance and people surround me asking all these questions I don’t know. But what happens after this? There could be forest fires everywhere.

I love how short and to the point it is.