How To Tackle Fear

By Veronica.Z. BRONZE, Woodland Hills, California
Veronica.Z. BRONZE, Woodland Hills, California

"Think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day." - Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

A creature lurks in the dark. Maybe it's a weird goblin-looking figure, or a pair of angry eyes, some combination between ghost and creepy doll - in any case, it never fails to appear, usually from the dark closet in your room when you can't sleep. The creature is fear, and it feeds off the most unstable parts of the brain to fit the image of whatever it is that troubles you. Sometimes, it is a rent increase or an old lover or maybe some dark unidentifiable mass: the unknown.

Step 1: As soon as you see the creature, or feel it morphing into shape from the dark corners of your bedroom, identify it. Give it a name like "Bob" or "Sally" or whatever your horrible boss's name is.

Step 2: Sit up in bed, stare straight at Bob, point a finger at him or her or it, and say, "I am not afraid." Say it with conviction, but if you can't, make sure to at least pretend not to be afraid.

Step 3: Then, slowly, softly, so that Bob does not suspect anything, charge out of bed, screaming and waving your arms, and attack Bob. Tackle the rent increase or the creepy doll or the ghost-like blob to the floor. Have no mercy. Disparage Bob. Tell him that his wife will leave him, that his book will never be published, that blue is not his color. Make him feel really bad.

Step 4: After Bob falls, after the fear creeps back into the darkness, climb back into bed, knowing that the goblin is gone for the night.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!