Imagine If Childhood Was Stollen

By WhoSawMe SILVER, Wellesley, Massachusetts
WhoSawMe SILVER, Wellesley, Massachusetts

"Winnin' is problematic
People like you more when you workin' towards somethin'
Not when you have it"

Allow me to tell you a story. There was once a woman detached from reality. She lived only to imagine. All she did to live, all she did to breathe, was imagine. She could never be pulled back into reality for the vacuum of thought was too strong to be tampered with.

One day she walked down the street and saw a lost child. She decided to follow that child to allow that child to live as she did. Without the worry of where she is, where her parents are, or where she will end up. The woman knew that life was never well spent worrying about where things are, have been, or will be.           She knows that to remove stress you must welcome a sense of imagination. The woman knew a lot. The lack of worrying produced independent thought. As the child walks into an alleyway, so does the woman. As the kid turns around to look at the woman. The woman turns around to look in the opposite direction.

A few seconds later, the child walks past the woman and says. “Do you know where I am?”

The woman takes one look at the child’s wide-eyed face and says, “You are in a place of Hakuna Matata.”
     The kid smiled and suddenly the tears faded away. The woman turned around and walked further into the alleyway. The kid decided to follow her. The woman began skipping, so the child mimicked her movements and skipped too. At the end of the alleyway was an intersection between a guitar store and a convenience store. The woman was close friends with the store owner, so she went in an grabbed a guitar.

As the kid neared the end of the alleyway, the woman began to sing. “'I've had the highest mountains. I've had the deepest rivers.” The kid began to dance. “You can have it all but not till you move it now take it in but don't look down. 'Cause I'm on top of the world, 'ey. I'm on top of the world, 'ey. Waiting on this for a while now. Paying my dues to the dirt. I've been waiting to smile, 'ey. Been holding it in for a while, 'ey. Take it with me if I can. Been dreaming of this since a child. I'm on top of the world.”

They both smiled at each other and laughed. The woman left the guitar and walked down the sidewalk with the child. The child saw a candy store and asked the lady if she could buy him a piece. She crossed the street to the trashcan on the side of the street next to the street benches. The kid frowned and followed.

She reached into the garbage and grabbed two cups. She sat down crisscrossed on the cement. She placed one cup right side up, and another upside down.

She slid one of the cups towards the child and said, “This is what you imagine it to be.”

The kid began drumming to the beat of his imagination as the woman sang, “Leaving to find my soul. Told her I had to go and I know it ain't pretty when our hearts get broke. Too young to feel this old. Watching us both turn cold. Oh, I know it ain't pretty when two hearts get broke. Yeah, I know it ain't pretty when two hearts get broke.”

A man walked by and put 3 one dollar bills into the cup that was right side up. The woman gets up and walks with the child to the candy store. She told him you can get two things. The kid went to the chocolate section and grabbed two Hershey's bars.

As they were walking out, the child gave one of the chocolate bars and said, “Thank you.” And they kept on walking. Later that day, they arrived at a dangerous part of the city. This is where all the gangs and all the criminals lived. The child saw his house and ran to it. The women walked back with a smile on her face from ear to ear knowing she made someone else smile.

The next day the kid stepped out of his house and walked to school. On the way there, he witnessed a crime. The criminal dressed in all black and ran away. As the kid got closer to the crime scene he saw what had happened

“Thief!” He yelled

The criminal stole the most valuable thing. He stole… A LIFE

This peice is about relationships, and how easily it can be taken away.

Swoon Reads

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!