Applesauce on the Moon

He flicked a little red switch for the ship near the entrance dow and heard gears turn and the mechanics contorting. Down emerged an alloy set of stairs; the steps were minute, but they would assist the astronaut into Eden. Upon arrival, the astronaut stood, gazing out the window. He saw what seemed to be an absolute world of its own, defectless and untouched by man.

The astronaut became visible, found the first step without the assistance of his imperfect sight, and gazed as far as his eyes would allow, and as far as the moon lay straight without curvature. The astronaut inhaled deeply, but only to receive a begrimed source of created oxygen. Nonetheless, he was satisfied and drove from step to step concentrating on what was to lay at the head of his sight.

He landed. He bounced, he floated for a second then fell back onto the moon, then would move again. The man was content, for he hath seen what most men could only imagine. He was an astronaut who had seen earth in the third person and the moon in the first, and they weren’t and couldn’t.

The little men on earth went on in his ear, but he could not and would not allow them to absorb his concentration, for they were small and irrelevant. Not listening, he went on, inspecting, lurching, and further removing himself from the comfort of the ship and appreciating all that the moon was.

His bounce was filled with gusto and quickly he was able to find himself where a crater lay imbedded. The astronaut knelt, and casted the gold visor back into his helmet. The astronaut declined closer into the crater, and saw what almost seemed to be scars of the the moon. The moon had been burned and the craters were the evidence of past trauma.

After he had finished admiring the self-sufficient universe of its own, he eased himself back up, but now it was easier. The gravity was not as capable as it was on earth, and for a moment the astronaut felt like he could do anything. But the notion with swiftness escaped him as he looked back up.

The astronaut finally was through of having to listen to the people on earth so he turned off his communications device. The moon was soundless now, the sound only being obstructed only by the astronaut’s robe. He walked for awhile; being physically capable of walking for a longer duration was taken advantage of by the astronaut. Finally, he found a spot and sang in a low tone “I must be in a good place now. I must be in a good place now...” and as the astronauts voice trailed off he looked to his left and then his right as though to cross a street. With a racing heartbeat now, he lifted his right arm and unleashed the connecting device between his helmet and his suit. There was a visible gust of air being emptied into the barren atmosphere. He dropped his arm with ample force and knocked into his communications device. Immediately, the silence was broken and the man in his ear went on. The astronaut did not listen to the content of the sentence, but rather conjured up what the man's life was like and in a low tone whispered “Every day the man would start his morning with a cup of coffee; black. In his older rust filled hatchback he would then drive to the space station and instruct me on what I should rather be doing. And after the day is up, regardless of what happens to me, he’ll take that same drive home listening to the radio without a care in the world, and when he gets home he’ll play with children like I should’ve done instead of neglecting to love them like they oh so deserved.” The astronaut maintained his state of dream and the conversation in his helmet all the while the men on earth trying to get a hold of the astronaut’s thoughts.

In an abrupt border to the astronaut's dream he heard a man bellow, “Tether the connection latch, your oxygen is escaping! Hello?!Can you hear me?!” The astronaut in no hurry moved his hand to the former of positions and bridged the helmet to the rest of his tuxedo. Over the communications device the astronaut heard a sigh of remedy. The man in his ear instructed the astronaut “Let’s go ahead and get you back to the ship, and then from there we’ll talk about getting you back home. Alright, how does that sound?”
The astronaut hushed and unconvincing said “yeah…” and began his trek back.

When the astronaut was within sight of the space station the man in his ear informed him that they would be bringing him back to earth. The astronaut stopped ensuingly as the man went off, and then and there the astronaut ruled what he would do adjacently.

After the astronaut had made it into the space station and decompressed the station he began to strip from the uniform. He went deep into the station, in a normal voice now every few seconds saying “applesauce...applesauce…applesau- oh there it is!” and as he maneuvered through the station and back to where the suit lay sprawled out, he ate. Finally, when he was finished he threw the contentless container of applesauce into a corner of the station and began amputating a thread of wire that started in the helmet and followed down to the outside of the suit. Finally, the astronaut with quickness and intent slipped back into the suit.

The astronaut obeyed the same steps out as before, but this time walking with confidence as if this was his workplace or home where he would know where all things were. He walked a ways this time, not as far as the first, but far enough so that he couldn’t see the depot. He stopped and stood for a few seconds looking around but never swiveling his head. He knelt down and fell backwards. Once every part of back that would touch the moon had, he extended each leg until all of him was fully extended.

The astronaut anteriorly shutting his eyes and drifted into a deep and brainstorm filled sleep thought that his helmet without the men inside just felt right. He thought of his family's cabin that lay deeply embedded into the Colorado mountains. Next he would think of his happy childhood that would mature into a mental warfare of want and desire. He would think of the decision that led him to this exact place and how being delivered even an hour later could have resulted in a completely different finish line.

After a few minutes of sleep the astronaut had woken abruptly and was completely disoriented. He remembered why he was there and it wasn’t for a mission to collect samples of the moon. He brought up both arms simultaneously and seated them on the moon aloft his head. After a while, he moved his right hand to the connection clasp of the helmet and suit and just rested it there. Then, the astronaut did the same with the other hand and rested it there as well. Finally without hesitation he unlatched both connector devices and removed his helmet all the while looking at the space that surrounded him and his thoughts.