The End | Teen Ink

The End

By PB1-2 SILVER, Parkland, Florida
PB1-2 SILVER, Parkland, Florida

Play.

I have forgotten the last time I have seen you smile. I simply remember the time I saw you leave. You stood there, at least a foot under me, looking at me with those fierce blue eyes. Your teeth were biting into your lip, your cheeks rosy in the cold air. The jacket you had insisted on buying was pulled close to you, your hands sported fingerless gloves. We were at the airport, standing outside becoming two strangers every minute that ticked by. Snowflakes began to fall down. Their small frames were carried by the wind, landing on your nose and eyelashes.

I remember this moment so vividly, the moments after becoming a blur. You reached out and held my hand, your fingers extremely cold against mine. You smiled, I think you smiled… I can’t remember if you smiled. I remember you walked away, your face thrown into shadows. Your heat left my hand and I tried pulling you back towards me.  I couldn’t let you go.

Pause.

Rewind.

Play.

I have forgotten the last time I have seen you smile. I simply remember the time I saw you leave. You stood there, at least a foot under me, looking at me with those fierce blue eyes. Your teeth were biting into your lip, your cheeks rosy in the cold air. The jacket you had insisted on buying was pulled close to you, your hands sported fingerless gloves. I had told you they would come after us but you had refused to listen. We were at the airport, standing outside becoming two strangers every minute that ticked by. Snowflakes began to fall down. Their small frames were carried by the wind, landing on your nose and eyelashes. I couldn’t get my fear to stop. My heart beat faster and faster.

I remember this moment so vividly, the moments after becoming a blur. You reached out and held my hand, your fingers extremely cold against mine. You smiled, I think you smiled… I can’t remember if you smiled. I remember you walked away, your face thrown into shadows. Your heat left my hand and I tried pulling you back towards me.  I couldn’t let you go. I screamed your name as I saw the tears fall down. Your eyes were red and your hand covered your mouth.

Pause.

Rewind.

Play.

I have forgotten the last time I have seen you smile. I simply remember the time I saw you leave. The time I saw them take you away, the screams that ripped my throat. One last time I screamed. One last time. They stopped pulling you away and I embraced you. I held on for what felt like mere seconds before they started yelling at us to move.

You stood there, at least a foot under me, looking at me with those fierce blue eyes. Your teeth were biting into your lip, your cheeks rosy in the cold air. The jacket you had insisted on buying was pulled close to you, your hands sported fingerless gloves. I had told you they would come after us but you had refused to listen. We were at the airport, standing outside becoming two strangers every minute that ticked by. Snowflakes began to fall down. Their small frames were carried by the wind, landing on your nose and eyelashes. I couldn’t get my fear to stop. My heart beat faster and faster. I couldn’t save you.

I remember this moment so vividly, the moments after becoming a blur. You reached out and held my hand, your fingers extremely cold against mine. You smiled, I think you smiled… I can’t remember if you smiled. I remember you walked away, your face thrown into shadows. They grabbed your arm fiercely and your wince of pain made me boil with anger, Your heat left my hand and I tried pulling you back towards me.  I couldn’t let you go. I screamed your name as I saw the tears fall down. Your eyes were red and your hand covered your mouth. They put you on a plane as they held me in the ground. I didn’t get to say I love you then. I’m sorry.
Pause.

Skip.

Play.

I have you back in my arms. I had never imagined the possibility of this moment. You look defeated, your features worn. I couldn’t relate more after all that has happened. But I have you back, and that’s all I have ever needed.

Stop.

Restart.

Play.