Love in Disguise | Teen Ink

Love in Disguise

By amrita. BRONZE, Bangalore, Other
amrita. BRONZE, Bangalore, Other

Today was probably the last uncalled meet up we had.

His eyes were cold.
Cold with the wind or with experience?
It was tough to say.
While I was contemplating with my thoughts,somebody nudged me hard awakening me.
It was he himself.
It took me a few seconds of clumsy movements to actually absorb what just happened.
I dropped my jaw and gaped at him like an idiot.. while he stood there so charming.. his eyes so attractive yet vulnerable.
I moved my shaky hand forward in gesture, while he spread his arms at the same time. Another moment of awkwardness filled the air.
His calmness envied me.
Butterfiles re entered my stomach at the wrong time.
Everything felt blurred around us. It was so blissful.
"Hi Raina, how are you?"
His voice was so magical. My ears yearned to hear him over and over again.
We had met after a long time.
I continued to stare, trying to capture every part of him, registering it in my memory.
How i wish I could freeze this moment for a lifetime.
"Hello! Raina? Where are you lost?" He waved his  hand infront of my face.
Uhm.. uhh.. i fumbled.. emotions gushed within me and i did the most stupidest thing ever.
I hugged him.
It felt so light. It was heavenly. I could have given up anything to statue myself in this position for a lifetime.
He was taken aback with this kind of embrace.
I regretted it immediately  and cursed under my breath for losing control.
"Coffee?" He asked.
Yeah sure i replied.
And soon later we were walking down the aisle towards the nearest CCD.
"So how's life treating you?"
Uhm.. well it's going on.. I nodded.
Yours?
"Its been great. You've known that i have always aspired to become a writer. Recently an editor seemed quite intrested in my story and they will soon publish it".
Wow! Thats news. Big man huh?
Money gingling it's way .. i  teased him.
"Not really Raina.  I can become a big busy man for others, but not for you".
I remained silent. I couldn't hide the blush that appeared on my face. I was awed by the way he picks up right lines at the right moments.. trapping my heart even more.
We reached CCD.
"2  cappuccino's" he ordered without asking my choice of flavour.
I stared at him.
"Just like old times" he winked.

2 years had passed since the day of our break up. We were so busy in settling down and building our careers that love and relationships took a back seat in our lives.

"Why do you seem so lost?" He asked, drawing me out of my thoughts
Well, this is nostalgic. Meeting you after so long revived all the happy times we spent together.
He looked up from his cup of coffee and stared at me.
I lowered my eyes in shyness. But something felt wrong. Though he looked into my eyes I couldn't feel the warmth. I couldnt search myself there no matter how hard i tried.
My heart was dying to ask him if i was replaced.
My mind started racing. I badly wanted to know if he was seeing someone else, but didn't have the guts to ask.
While I was so caught up in my own thoughts, his phone rang. The name on his phone lit his face. The same way it used to when we used to meet before. My heart sank even more. My assumptions were turning into reality. I couldn't  resist peeping and checking out the name. 'Rita' it read.
He disconnected the call.
"Kabir, are you dating?" I blurted out, without being able to resist my inquisitiveness.
Well yeah. We have been dating for almost 2 months now. Nice girl.. he said.
A tear escaped from the corner of my eye. It was all over. The 2 year gap had not only ended our relationship, but also all the memories it carried. That slight ray of hope which crept within my heart on getting back together died away instantly.
We drained our respective cups of coffee in silence and got up to leave.
Afterall another woman was waiting for him, which made all the difference.
I realised that day, loving a person isn't enough.  True love lies in respecting his thoughts and  decisions which matter the most.
I ended up smiling. Admist all odds, I had found my true love though not mine anymore in reality, but forever in my heart and soul.

James said...
on Dec. 16 2017 at 4:03 am
I had difficulties going past 3 lines! Maybe you can have a career as a bedtime story writer! It's like my brain automatically shut down after finishing 2 lines. You've got talent!!!! Continue making people sleep!

on Dec. 10 2017 at 6:38 am
Great work!
All the best!