The Bookie | Teen Ink

The Bookie

By sarahbear11 BRONZE, Wilmington, California
sarahbear11 BRONZE, Wilmington, California

She sits in the same place everyday. She’s always reading a new book. Every. Day. Reading is such a good thing to do, its productive and it keeps your mind working, keeping the brain active. People, though, are shocked to see her with a new book everyday.

“Do you think she reads the entire book during the day?”

“Maybe she just reads half of a book and then grabs a new book so people think she reads
a lot.”

She reads a book in one day. She usually starts in the morning, around 6 AM when she first wakes up. Her alarm sings to her, her favorite song. The beeping is joyous in the morning because she gets to start another story. She stretches and rolls out of bed, headed straight for her beloved book shelf. It stretches all the way up to the ceiling, has closer to 10 shelves on it and each shelf can hold two rows of books. The top shelves are where she holds her ‘already read’ section, and the bottom shelves are where she holds the ‘to be read’ section. She goes on book shopping trips at least every month, if not more. She is due for another trip as she is down to her last three books.

She bends over to pick up one of the three books blindly, as she doesn't care which book she reads first. She stands back up and makes a note on her phone to go to a bookstore and pick up some more books. After this she walks over to the corner across from her bed. Here sits an extremely comfortable, modern-looking rocking chair. It was hers when she was a baby, her mom used to rock her in that chair every night. Her mom said it was the only way she would ever fall asleep. Her mom got it modernized as a present for her 17th birthday.
Here she will sit, for at least an hour, in which she will read almost 100 pages. She will then get up, put her book down for a brief moment, and get ready for school. On the car ride to school she will read another 30 pages, and while waiting for school to start she will have almost read 200 pages in 3 hours. During class time she doesn't have as much time to read, which is okay with her because she enjoys learning and going to class. Though, if she finishes something early, or is given free time, she will try and fit in a couple more pages.
Since she only just moved here she doesn't have that many friends, which is why she reads so much. It’s her senior year and this is her fourth high school. She doesn't really care about making friends at this point, knowing that any friends she would make she would have to give up for college. This new high school is nice and big so she has many options for where she gets to read during her snack period. She is only taking 4 classes this year so she gets to leave the school during lunch. Usually she goes to the nearby cafe to continue reading her book until her mom is there to pick her up, but today she has plans with a bookstore. She will walk to the bus stop and read 10 pages waiting for the bus and 50 pages while on the bus going to the store. She is now about half way done with the book.

At the bookstore she has only one requirement for the books, they must be at least 500 pages. She has found that this is a nice medium book size that’ll allow her to have it read in one day. 300 pages is too short, and 1,000 pages is too long, 500 is perfect. She buys mostly used books as the price of brand new books is too extravagant for buying 30, or more,books a month. She picks the books at random, knowing that if she doesn't like a book she will be able to critique it to make it better and suggest new ideas to the author.

She does this with every author and every book she reads. Once she is done with the book she sits down and writes an extremely detailed email to the author of the book. She always compliments their writing and she also critiques their writing. Of course everything is pretty much her own preference, so she makes sure to tell them her critiques are only preference but do come from a person who reads 365 books a year. They don't usually get back to her but she feels it's the  writing this email is the best thing to do to round out her day. She also feels as though it rounds out the book, much like a palate cleanser, so she is “clean” for the next book.