If I were Mayor | Teen Ink

If I were Mayor

November 30, 2017
By Jacob_Johnson24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jacob_Johnson24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Memorandum
To: Citizens of Milwaukee
From: Jacob J
Date: November 7th 2017
Reason: Top 3 reasons to vote for me as mayor.

This upcoming spring I ask for you the city of Milwaukee to vote for me to be your next mayor. I promise that I will do everything in my power to make the city of Milwaukee grow economically and educationally. I have 3 main ideas that as mayor I will address first they are adding a NHL team,rase the education rate and lower the crime rate.

1. As mayor of Milwaukee I would like to bring a professional hockey team to this city. Bringing a professional sports team of any caliber to Milwaukee will increase economic value to the city and its surrounding businesses. Milwaukee is currently creating a new stadium so there will be a place locate this new NHL team. There are many potential buyers inside of Milwaukee that could fund this team if we put together a good plan to do so.

2.I pledge that I will increase the level of education and reduce the amount of dropouts in this strong city. According to Wisconsin.gov Milwaukee Public Schools saw 3,060 students earn their high school diploma in 2015, with a graduation rate of 58.2 percent - making this the most challenged district in the state of Wisconsin. In order for this city to prosper we must first begin with the children and make it one of our top priorities to make sure that they are getting top level education so they can give back to the city through the workforce. We can increase this by adding more teachers so that way there is a higher student to teacher ratio at each of the Milwaukee schools. We will have this from elementary all the way to highschool because I believe that a good education begins in the lower levels.

3.Lower crime rates
Currently Milwaukee is ranked the 7th most dangerous city in the country with a current violent crime rate of 1,364/100,000 people and a murder rate of 17 per 100,000 people according to LawStreetMedia.org. As mayor I will swear that I will do everything in my power to lower these rates, I will do this by increasing the officer to person ratio that is currently 1:323. I believe that raising this rate will decrease the crime rate by a substantial amount. As mayor of Milwaukee I will make it our priority to keep the streets and its people safe.