First Chair | Teen Ink

First Chair

By cmvonho407 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
cmvonho407 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan

It was a dark, but lovely morning when Abby was walking to the bus stop. Anna suddenly ran up so she could walk with her. Before long Abby started to feel uncomfortable. Anna has not been very nice to her in the past and, on Friday they were in a competition to see who's going to be the first chair of their orchestra.  Which is really important to Abby because she wants to be a professional cellist when she is older.

When the bus got to their stop, running over the green grass on the curb covered in leaves, Anna ran up with her long blond hair hitting Abby in the face and got on first. Then Abby got on last. When the bus got to the school, they both dashed over to the orchestra room. Captured their cellos, unpacked them and started practicing. Then Anna got up and as she trotted past Abby, she kicked her cello over with her brown ugg boots and smashed the bridge. Getting Abby in trouble with her parents because they need to pay to get it fixed.

Mrs. Shay, the orchestra director was annoyed because she had to find another cello for Abby to use.  Meanwhile, all of Anna's friends laughed, "of course Abby would be the one to break her instrument the day before the chair test!" Then, Mrs. Shay came back into the room with a cello.  "Here you go, Abby be careful with this one," she informed.

After school the first thing she did was practice. She practiced all night so much that her mom started hollering,"It's too late Abby! Go to bed, stop making all that noise!" So, Abby put away her cello and put her long brown hair with dark red highlights into a bun before washing her face and brushing her teeth. Next, she put on some sweatpants and a tee shirt that read, “o.c.d obsessive cello disorder.”

The next morning was Friday, the day of the chair test. Anna comes running behind her like she does every morning.  Only this time she was traveling in the back of her mom's car chanting loudly,"I'm gonna win and you're gonna fail, because your tiny little young brain can't handle the music!"

Abby started thinking to herself, just because she was younger than them by a couple of years doesn't mean that she can’t handle the music. When the bus got there she got on and took her music out and started contemplating her part.  All of a sudden the bus came to a hold.  The driver had a confused look on her face realizing the bus got a flat tire.  They were stuck there. 

Abby screamed, “No! Not today!” She tried to call her mom to see if she could come pick her up and bring her to orchestra but no answer. She tried her dad no answer. She even tried her big sister who was in college in the middle of class, obviously, there was no answer.

She broke out into tears.  The kid sitting in the seat in front of her remarked, "Elementary schoolers can be so emotional. There is no reason to snivel." Then she  went on to ask  "Do you even know such big words?"

Then Abby screamed, "Yes I know what that means.  The reason I am sobbing is that today there is a competition to see who is the first chair in orchestra.  If I'm not there I'm not even considered and I know I can be the first chair . . . if I was there but I'm not! And I'm not in elementary school.  I'm actually a freshman.” She sassed back quite loudly not realizing that she was talking out loud until after she said it.

"Well, looks like Ana is going to steal it from you. Oh wait.  You never had a chance anyway!" squealed the same girl.

Finally, another bus came and took them. As soon as the bus stopped Abby sprinted to the orchestra room and managed to get there right after they finished. “C-c-c-can I please please please . . . play f-for the chair test” Abby stuttered.

Mrs. Shay replied, "Sweetie, your face is all red and you’re shaking.  Is everything okay?”

"No the bus was late," she exclaimed all out of breath.
"Let's have you go tomorrow" Mrs shay resolved and then the bell rang.

When she got to her next class she was still so distraught from this morning. She sat in her assigned seat next to Adam who shouted "Eww it’s Abby."
"Eww, it’s Adam" Abby sassed back with a sarcastic tone.

Jennifer and Chris were sitting across from them and they both looked at each other and both teased "ooooh" and Adam immediately screamed, "eww no not Abby!"
“Are there any other words in your vocabulary except for eww or is that all you know?” Abby remarked. Jennifer and Chris both laughed. Then the teacher started talking.

When Abby got home, the first thing she did was get out her cello and practice. That night she got a bit distracted thinking about Adam that she accidentally put way too much Rosin on her bow.  She could have probably picked a pencil up with how sticky it was.

After practicing, she ate dinner and then started practicing again. The next morning she got her mom out of bed and made her drive her because she did not want another repeat from yesterday. She even brought her home cello because she did not want to use the old school one she had to use because Anna broke her other one.

She got to the orchestra room and the chairs were already listed.  She went up to Mrs shay and demanded that she let her try out.  After begging and explaining everything that happened, Mrs shay finally realized that she should let her play.  She told Abby “You go sit down and I will listen in a minute.”  So, she sat down as class started.  Mrs shay said okay students Abby is going to play now.  Abby played the song and a couple of minutes later the new chairs were posted . . . she got second.  Anna got fourth so it made her joyful for a split second that she beat her but she was still disappointed.

She was good with second chair though. However, that day she promised herself next year nothing would go wrong and she would get first chair.

When she got to her next class she sat down next to Adam.   Again, he said “Eww it’s Abby” just like he does every day but instead of doing the same thing back like she usually does, she really hesitantly asked, “Would you like to come to the dance with me next Friday?”
“. . .  eww JK I guess I'll go with you” he responded with a smile.  “I'll pick you up at 7. Where do you live?” he asked.
“Yep, sounds good. I live in the house to the left of the library,” she answered.

By the end of the day the whole school was talking about them and giving them the ship name of “Adby”.  From that point on, Adam defended her when someone would try to make fun of her and people caught on quickly that she was actually a nice girl who they should be friends with.

That day she went home feeling happy about Adam but disappointed that she only got second chair.  Soon she started getting private lessons and started practicing 40 minutes a day.

A week later, Adam showed up at Abby's house at exactly 7 for the dance. Abby walked down the staircase that had a bunch of her little sister's toys all over it.  She was wearing a red dress that matched the highlights in her hair which she curled. “Wow you look amazing.” Adam stated.

“Thank you so do you.” Abby responded. He was wearing a traditional black suit and over gelled his blond hair. They took pictures by the brick fireplace in Abby's living room. When they got to the dance, he opened all the doors for her.   Later that night, she wrote in her diary “Today has been a great day.  I had a splendid time with Adam tonight.”

Next year when this time came around everything went just as planned. Abby got the first chair.  Later that night, she wrote in her diary “October 4, 2016, and 2017 have been the two best days ever.  In 2016, I got the sweetest boy ever, Adam.  In 2017, I got first chair, life is good.”

This story is about a girl named Anna, who plays the cello.  This takes place during the chair test, there are people who think that she can't do it and there are some setbacks but she keeps trying.