She's Gone

I stared at the empty seat beside me in complete silence. It's old wood top covered with scratches of previous students. Known knowing that the desk would eventually spell out tragedy for me...

"Alex." My head immediately turned the front of the room. My math teacher was waiting.

"What is the answer to number 6?" I stared blankly at her. I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Um...C?" I said winging it. The class erupted into laughter. I lowered my head as Mrs. Hart sighed.

"No Alex the square root of 49 is not C."Mrs.Hart said sighing again. "What has gotten into you? One week your one of the brightest girls in the class the next-"

That was it I couldn't take it anymore. "Whats gotten into me?" I shouted jumping up, as a tear made its way down my cheek.

"Clara is DEAD Mrs.Hart. D-E-A-D! Don't you understand?" Now everyone in the class was staring at me.

"You and everyone else are just going to stand there like my best friend was never here? She was here and she still is and I wont let anyone forget her!"

The tears ran like miniature streams down my face.

"Alex!" My teacher shouted as I ran out of the room. She came behind me and yelled down the hall, "Alexandra!"

I just kept running. Down the hall, out the door, past Millers Pond. All the way to the graveyard. I let my feet lead me to the spot where an angel engraved tombstone stood.

"Clara Daniels

1990-2002

A loving daughter, sister

and friend. May the angels

guide Clara to heaven."

I collapsed on the grave and sobbed. "Clara. Oh Clara come back please. I-I just cant. I cant."

I slowly sat up still crying. I looked up at the sky which was beginning to turn gray.

"Please. God if you are there.. please look after Clara. Please."

Just then a single ray of light shined down from the gray sky.

Clara.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 9:51 am:
This is a very good story:) Very descriptive, but sad:(