I'm Not Going Anywhere | Teen Ink

I'm Not Going Anywhere

By maclay17 GOLD, Goodyear, Arizona
maclay17 GOLD, Goodyear, Arizona
15 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." - Malcom X

“Is this going to be like preschool?”

Twelve years ago, I stumbled into my kindergarten class pondering over this very question. I mean up until that point, I had been spoiled with naptime and no homework. Preschool was a place of scribbles, clean up songs, and I loved it. But, kindergarten? I had no idea what was coming my way. I didn’t expect millions of worksheets or even the no snack during class policy.

Now here I am entering my final year of high school reflecting on all that I have learned and experienced since that dreadful first day in Mrs. Taylor’s class. I have grown a bit taller and a bit smarter since then. But, I never left.

Twelve years ago, I was right here in Phoenix, Arizona. The heat is still excruciating and the pool is still the only outdoor activity we can enjoy in the summer. The winters are still freezing at 60 degrees to us and we will always be in love with those rare rainy days. Today, I still have a crush on Alex (don’t tell her) and Trevor is still my best friend (he knows I like her). I know where every store, restaurant, and gas station is located. I even know the names of the guys who work at the Wendy’s drive thru (Tony and Mark).

I have been here almost all of my life and I am not going anywhere. I am planning on attending ASU Barrett, the Honors College after graduating so I can stay right here in Phoenix. I mean, I grew up here. I found my purpose here. I fell in love here. This is my home. Of course, I have been to other states in this country. (Las Vegas, that’s a state isn’t it?) But after all, there is no place like home.