The motel | Teen Ink

The motel

By Faithman113 BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
Faithman113 BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina

The sound of metal grinding on metal screamed in his ears, as the car skidded across the guard rail. Suddenly a sense of weightlessness overtook him for a moment, the car was flipping over and then he came smashing back down his head bashing into the side window. He had completely flipped over the guardrail and was rolling downhill towards a giant tree. He clawed at the seat belt and used his momentum to launch himself out of the sunroof, which had been completely shattered. He smashed into the ground just as the car hit the tree with a fatal crash, glass flew covering him and embedding itself into his skin. He barely felt it though, all he could feel was the sharp radiating pain coming from his chest. He couldn't breathe, all he could do was sputter, blood forcing itself out of his lungs and onto the orange dirt in front of him coloring it a bright red. He desperately tried to crawl up the hill towards the sounds of sirens which were growing louder and louder, but he couldn't move. The sirens which had seemed to be getting closer were now fading into the distance,all he could hear was the dull thud of his own heartbeat growing slower and slower. His eye sight grew dimmer, everything seeming to be bleeding out its color turning everything pale. Paramedics and firemen rushed towards him down the hill, sending orange dust up in clouds, but they were too late. The heart beat made one final weak thud, and then it stopped sending him into sweet oblivion.

Jeffery

Jeffrey shot up in bed coated in a sheen of cold sweat panting, he gasped and swallowed the air in gulps filling his lungs as if he couldn’t get enough air no matter how much he tried. His wife rolled over next to him and placed her hand on his heaving chest. “Did you have another nightmare?” she asked in a sleepy yet concerned tone. He rubbed his temples and his breathing began to slow, “ yeah the same one as always Han.” She sat up next to him and looked him right in his eyes, his familiar big green eyes stared back but they were still wide with panic. “ Honey, you should really see someone about these nightmares. We could find you a nice psychia-” “ No Hannah I am not crazy, I don’t need anyone analyzing me and picking my brain.” “ Jeffery you’re not crazy, I am just saying it could be helpful to see someone about it” “I am fine don't worry about it, let's just get back to sleep we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow”

Hannah

Light poured through the bedroom window and spilled onto the bed, she turned her head to face her husband’s sleeping body. HIs chest gently rose and fell, the sheet across his torso obscuring part of the long raised scar that ran from his chest to his navel. He looked so peaceful and relaxed, something she hadn’t seen on his face in a long time. Hopefully this little day trip to the beach they had planned for the day would help him relax a little. She silently slid out of bed and into the bathroom. She closed the door gently behind her and turned on the shower.

Jeffery
The sound of water streaming in the shower woke Jeffery from his sleep, he opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling listening to the water gurgling down the drain. The showered turned off and moments later Hannah emerged wrapped in towel, her hair dripping water onto the floor. She smiled at him and told him he better get moving if they wanted to beat the traffic. He smiled back and tried his best to seem like everything was normal, it wasn't though. His nightmares were getting more and more vivid each night, a feeling was building inside him. He couldn't quite put his finger on what it was but it wasn't good.

Hannah

She turned the wheel and guided the blue jeep into a parking space outside the tiny motel room. She looked over at Jeffery with concern, he had hardly said a word the entire 3 hour trip down. “ Hey Jeff, are you alright you’ve been awfully quiet” Jeffery seemed to snap out of a daze “ Of course I am, I am just a hungry.” “ Oh, well why don’t you go inside and get us all settled in and I’ll go grab us some food” “ Sounds great.” Jeffrey leaned over the seat, gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, and took their bags inside. She watched him unlock the door and slip inside with concern, he just didn't seem like himself.

Jeffery
He set the bags down on the floral bedspread that looked like it could have doubled as curtains in 1970. He plopped down on the bed next to bags and rubbed his temples. Every Time he closed his eyes he saw flashes from that night dance across his eyelids, taunting him. He just couldn’t escape the sound of his own failing heartbeat, or the taste of his own blood stinging in his throat and lungs. The scar was a constant reminder of that horrible night, if only he had been able to stay awake. His head continued to pound now spreading behind his eyes, he walked to the sink in the bathroom and turned the creaky faucet on. He cupped his hands collecting the cool water and splashed it across his face. When he lifted his head he was face to face with his own reflection. He had deep purple circles hanging under his eyes and the fine lines around his mouth seemed deeper engraved than before. As he stared at his reflection a sharp pain stabbed at his brain without warning. Instantly he doubled over in pain and knocked his head of the counter, he grabbed his head and stumbled out of the bathroom. He could barely see straight, the stabbing pain returned only this time worse, he squeezed his eyes tight and flashes of that night returned. Jeffrey fell to his knees and screamed in agony.

Hannah
Hannah pulled the jeep back into the same spot as earlier and took the keys out of the ignition. She reached and grabbed the bag of chinese takeout from the passenger's seat, she had specifically bought beef lo mein for Jeff it was his favorite. She opened the door to the motel room only to see it had been completely trashed, Jeffery was laying in the middle of the carnage motionless. She threw the food down and rushed towards Jeffery, “ Jeff! Are you okay. Jeff!!” She put her finger on his pulse and felt the solid strong beat of his heart under her fingers. She pulled Jeff up onto the bed with great effort and laid him face up on top of the comforter. What had happened in here? Hannah splashed cold water on his face and eventually Jeff groaned and came to.

Jeffery
He felt the shock of cold water soak his face and shirt, he groaned and opened his eyes to find Hannah over him. The light was so bright, but once his eyes focused he could see the motel room was completely trashed. His wife looked at him, eyes wide with concern and something else… fear. She spoke to him urgently, what had happened, was he okay, did they need to go to the hospital. But all he could think was what had he done.