The Hair Cut

By , State College, PA

“Hey, are you sure about this?”

“Yea, I’m sure.”

SNIP SNIP SNIP

Long locks of dark dark brown hair fell to the white blue tiles of my bathroom floor. My sister, hands shaking ever so slightly snipped through the garden of locks, overgrowing on my head. I sat, back straight, staring at the off-white colored walls trying my best not to move my head even though it was almost impossible to do with tickling wisps of hair falling down my neck.

“I don’t know if I’m doing this right….”

My sister huffed under her breath.

SNIP SNIP SNIP

“Don’t worry you’ll do fine, you’re an artist. All you have to do is make sure it looks good.”

I reminded her.

SNIP SNIP SNIP

“I may be an artist but I don’t work with hair. I mean, I’m a graphic designer you know…. This isn’t really my field….”

She huffed again.

SNIP

“Alright… This is the length you wanted right?”

My sister spun me around in the chair to face the only mirror in the bathroom.

Flapper.

That was the first thing that came to mind as I looked gazed into the mirror.

A 1920s, dancing, short skirt, short haired flapper.

“Well?” My sister questioned. “Do you like it? I mean, isn’t it what you wanted, right? Something short? Something… Different?”

Yes it was short, and it was, very different, but I couldn’t help but feel incomplete as I stared into the mirror. Yes the girl before me was different. Very different. This girl had short hair that made her brown eyes pop, she was exciting looking, a little dangerous and so very cool. She was mature, and smart, kind beyond belief, and so crazy talented.

That was the girl I saw,

That was the girl I wanted to be. 

But that wasn’t the girl I was.

I’m a clumsy girl. An awkward girl. A quiet girl. The type of girl who sat in the back of the classroom, did her homework and left without a word. I was plain and boring and simple. I needed change. I needed something new, something different in my life. I was sick of being the same old girl. The same girl with no change.

Perhaps this little haircut was a bit rash of me, but how could I help myself? I was so ordinary, so boring and there they were, a pair of new shiny scissors just sitting in my bathroom. 

Even with the new look. The cool looking flapper hair style, I was still the same me, I didn’t feel any different, even with ten inches of hair off my head. I swallowed hard. Staring, eyes locked to the mirror.

“Well… Yea, I think I like it…. But you know, I don’t really feel any different…. ” I paused, still taking in this new look, would this really work out? Could I really deal with this new looking me? “I don’t know…. Maybe I shouldn’t have… You know, had all this hair cut off, you know, it’s just so different….”

My sister smiled.

“Yea…. Change can be challenging, messy and unwanted, but change can also be good.”

HunTerrible said...
Feb. 19 at 8:38 pm
I liked the overall theme. Very well written in terms of imagery in the beginning. The end feels a bit rushed, like you just wrote the end in a few minutes just to get it posted. I feel like the theme is stated in the end blatanly, without much foreshadowing, which can be a lot to ask with such a small piece, but if you have included the word "Change" or something about change being bad or not liking change, it would give the piece a better story ark and make it more intriguing to the audience.

reach4marsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 20 at 1:24 pm
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciated :)