The Last Time | Teen Ink

The Last Time

January 17, 2017
By antonasiaaa BRONZE, Raliegh, North Carolina
antonasiaaa BRONZE, Raliegh, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jordan arrived home after an exhausting day at work. He slowly closed the front door, but with enough force to make the heavy door slam shut. After taking a long hot shower, he made himself a Vodka Tonic. He made one after another while he sat and waited for his wife to come home.

A couple hours later, he heard the door gently close. Makayla jumped back a little when she saw her drunk husband sitting on the couch with an empty bottle of alcohol tipped over on the floor beside him. She instantly got that familiarly aching feeling in her stomach when her husband looked up at her with cold dead eyes.
“Where the hell have you been?” Josh demanded as he stumbled up off the couch,


“I was out with my mom Jordan. How long have you been drinking?” asked Makayla.


“If you would have been home, you would know the answer to that, now wouldn’t you?” replied Jordan.
In a quiet and inaudible voice, she mumbled,“I didn’t think you would be home so soon, I’m sorry.” She stared directly at the floor as she spoke because she didn’t want to meet those bloodshot eyes that she felt piercing down into her. Josh yanked her chin up so that their eyes would meet and Makayla knew what was going to happen next. Josh raised his fist and within seconds Makayla instantly recognized the pain she had felt many times before. After about five hits, she lost count, along with the feeling in her face. Blood gushed from her nose as she lay on the floor, hiding in her hands,  and weeping uncontrollably.


Jordan wobbled back to the couch and grabbed his jacket and keys off the coffee table, then stormed to the front door and slammed it shut behind him. Makayla, on the floor began to think dark and haunting thoughts. Josh, still drunk, sped down the road, not caring to stop at any red lights or yield to stop signs. She dragged herself upstairs, went into the bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror. He drove faster without any particular destination in mind. She stared at her reflection for awhile, then turned off the light and went to the hallway closet where she knew Jordan kept his gun. He turned the radio up as loud as it could get, as though he was trying to drown out the demons that lived deep within his thoughts. She reached up and grabbed the shoe box while praying to God and repenting for her sins, then opened the box and wrapped her finger around the cold black metal. Jordan drove faster. She gripped the trigger and put the gun up to her head. Josh looked to his right only to see a big 18-wheeler coming his way. Makayla whispered “this is the last time.”


Instantly, they both heard a huge bang. They both had seen each other for the last time. She saw the light. She felt the warmth. She was safe. There he was at the end of the tunnel with a hand ready to bash her. I guess there is not really a light at the end of every tunnel.


The author's comments:

this story is really my favorite out of everything i right and i felt that i should share it and see if anyone else likes it.