If I Won the Lottery | Teen Ink

If I Won the Lottery

By courtneyprendergast GOLD, Oakland, New Jersey
courtneyprendergast GOLD, Oakland, New Jersey

Beep. Beep. Beep. My custom made alarm clock goes off, filling my spacious bedroom with a feeling of dread. I think I’ve become afraid of my alarm clock; it signals the worst part of my day - getting out of bed. Today I have no trouble getting out of bed, because today is the day. When I won the lottery, the first thing I did was buy myself an airy Manhattan apartment overlooking Times Square. I then used my new winnings to buy necessities for myself and my family. After all of the important obligations were taken care of, I bought myself the one thing I’ve wanted for so many years: a private lunch with the cast of Glee. When I had finished making all of the arrangements, I was ecstatic. I couldn’t have been happier. I was finally going to meet the people who had inspired me to be me.
I begin my day like I begin any other day, walking into my modern kitchen and making my favorite smoothie -  raspberry and strawberry with just a hint of banana. Today is such a special day, I decide to make pancakes for breakfast, which is rare. With my busy work schedule, I don’t have much time to cook meals in my own house, but today is different. I took the day off from work so I could spend it with people who have touched so many lives, including mine, in a very special way. As I make my breakfast, I dance around my kitchen to my favorite Glee music, a playlist that consists of The Best of Kurt Hummel and practically every song from seasons three and four, because those were my favorite seasons. I’m so jubilant I can barely stand still. Once I’ve eaten my breakfast, I make myself some tea and step out onto my vast balcony. The sun’s rays reach every corner of the balcony and warm my face as I make my way to the railing. Overlooking Times Square, I can just feel the hustle and bustle of NYC, even from all the way up on my terrace. Horns honking, people shouting, buses driving, music playing, everything that makes Manhattan so special.
As I walk back into my apartment, I realize I only have two hours until I have to be at the restaurant for lunch. I rush to my room and throw open my closet doors. I thumb through my clothes and finally find the perfect outfit for the day. It’s the middle of September, so I wear my favorite skirt and a flowy light blue shirt, which I absolutely love. I throw on my lucky white converse and then head into my bathroom to straighten my hair and do my makeup. Once that is all done, I have a good hour left until I have to leave. So I get my purse, my favorite white Michael Kors bag, and throw in everything I would need for lunch: my wallet, my phone, my house keys, and a few other things. Then I turn on the TV and watch some Food Network until it is finally time to go. I basically sprint out of my apartment so I can catch a cab and arrive at the restaurant.
Once I get there, I sit down at the table and realize it will be another fifteen minutes until the cast shows up. I order a drink for myself and then just catch up on all of my social media, which I haven’t had a chance to do because I have been so stressed all morning. I text my friend to check on how rehearsal was going, then I look up. Standing over me is Chris Colfer, AKA my favorite human being and all time idol. I almost faint, let me tell you. I jump up and give him a huge hug, then realize that standing right behind him is Dianna Argon, who played Quinn Fabray. The entire cast was filing in behind her, so one by one, I hug each person, trying to control my shaking body. Once we all sit down at the table, I had so many questions I wanted to ask them, but I first start with thanking them all so much for being here. We then have an amazing and unforgettable conversation about their lives and the show. I was able to share all of my favorite Glee moments and songs, and was also able to learn a lot about their personal lives. We bond over our love for theater and the arts, and I especially love talking to Harry Shum, who played Mike Chang, and Heather Morris, who played Brittany, about my life as a professional dancer, because they were both such talented ones on the show. The amount of inspiration each cast member gave me was off the charts. They all have their own astonishing qualities that make each of them unique. After lunch, most of the cast has to leave, but Lea and Chris stay behind because they want to spend more time with me. I felt so honored to be in their presence, and again have to control myself when they offer to take me to each of their favorite New York City spots. We have “breakfast” outside Tiffany’s, just like Kurt and Rachel in Season Four. We visit the Gershwin Theater, and talk about how they filmed “For Good” on the Wicked stage. My favorite part of the entire day was walking by the spot where my favorite moment of Glee happened, when Kurt and Rachel reunited in New York City. It was a total surprise to Rachel, and she was overjoyed to see him. It was by far my favorite part of Glee because Kurt and Rachel were my favorite friendship in the show and I was very happy to see them together again. The time that I spent with Lea and Chris was magical and life-changing, and they are two of the most inspiring people I have ever met.
I dread going back to my apartment. I never want the day to end. But sadly, Lea and Chris have to leave at some point. I wrap them both into a massive hug, and thank them immensely for coming to lunch with me and showing me their favorite Manhattan places. It was such an extraordinary afternoon, and by the time I get back to my apartment, I am tired and hungry. I order some Chinese food, and decide to watch some Glee before I go to bed. I still cannot believe how outstanding today was. It was so surreal to sit and have a conversation with each Glee cast member. I wish that I could spend every day with them, but I know that that is most likely not going to happen. As I climb into my cozy king sized bed, I think about how lucky I am to have everything that I have. I am so grateful to have won the lottery, and to have experienced things I never thought possible. 

This piece is all about how I would spend my money if I had one the lottery. I chose to write about spending my money on a lunch with the cast of Glee, because Glee is my favorite TV show and I really want to meet the cast so I can share with them all of my favorite things about the show.