Friend or Significant Other? | Teen Ink

Friend or Significant Other?

“Maria do you remember when Sra. Pena left us on Revolution when we were 6?”

“¿Cómo qué no? Of course I remember how could I forget? The lady who was suppose to care of us and care for us and love us left us all on our own when we were just learning how to be accepted in society. The lady that our mothers trusted with everything they had and they still send money to her and she gets money for just keeping us in a room for 6 years.”

Javier and Maria are two 17 year old best friends. Their mothers are best friends and they left to America after having a kids so they could provide for them. But the lady that these mothers left their children did not do as promised. This women was suppose to send the kids to school, feed them nutritious food and care for them. But she did the exact opposite of that. When the kids turned 6 she cut off all communication with their mothers and left the two on the streets of Ave Del Pacífico by the beach to live on their own.

10 years later the two were in a old shack and making a living as a cook and as vendors on the border. Maria and Javier grew close in the 10 years that they spent together. They began to know everything about one another and stuff like that.

“Maria we should go find our mothers now that we are older and can take care of ourselves! What do you think?! Us going to that United States to find our mothers and everything will be right again.” Javier said one night as Maria was making food. The idea took Maria by surprise because the two of them had just become very stable with their lives.

“But why. We are doing fine just as we are. Why jeopardize any of it to go see our moms who left us at birth.” But in the end Maria agreed to go. She wanted to see what her mother actually looked like.

The next day they set voyage to the states. It would be a journey that they wouldn’t expect.

“Maria please keep up. Stop looking around or else they will get you and I can’t let that happen.” Javier said to Maria as they were walking though Mexicali one day and they were faced with the reality of what actually happens on these journeys. The reality of how people payed for what basic needs; food, toiletries, a place to sleep etc. It was sad to see how mothers or daughters so freely give themselves up for the idea of having more basic treatments. When the families don't have enough money that is how they pay, by giving up themselves in order to make it to “American Dream”. As Maria saw the reality while they were walking down the streets she thought to herself, “Could someone love their children, family, parents, spouses enough to do this in order to make it to the States to have a better life. Did our moms have to go through this when they made their journey to the states? Did they travel alone or did they have companions, possibly our fathers?” Her thought were interrupted by Javier pulling her to walk faster.

“Apurate. Hurry up we will miss the train!!!” Javier said as if he was out of breath and incapable of talking much.
“We still have time Javier, La Bestia doesn't leave for hours” Maria said trying to reassure Javier that they would make it to Calexico fine.

“Maria we need to talk about something.” Javier said one night before they began to take their shifts to make sure they wouldn’t fall of the side.

“Javier is everything okay? We haven't had a ‘talk’ in a long time and last time we did it ended badly.” A flower of worry blossomed over her as they began this conversation.

“Yea… everything is okay. I just wanted to tell that even though we saw what we saw on our journey that all I could think about was that it never happened to you and that made me happy because I… I… love you.” He said almost mumbling, he was so nervous and almost shaking. He grew anxious when she didn't answer right away.
“Javier enserio. You are being serious right? You're not messing with me.”

“Of course not. I am being dead serious. I've never been more serious.” Javier said growing anxious with every leading second that she didn't say it back.

“You know I love you too. We have always been together and we always will be no matter what.” When Javier heard this he had a breath of relaxation in knowing that everything would be okay. They continued on their journey and were able to make it to Él Centro safe and sound.

They were able to make a life in Él Centro and within a few weeks Javier and Maria were able to locate their mothers and began to brainstorm how they would get to them. Maria’s mother although was very ill. Javier did all he could to get Maria to her mother but he was too late. During the process he ended up in a detention center after being caught while waiting for a job to make money for him and Maria to call Maria’s mother. He was held in the detention center for 4 months and he wasn't present for the birth of his first born daughter Sofía. While in the detention center he was able to pull a few strings and get a green card so that he could stay in the States.
When he was released he met his daughter and began to be part of her life. 4 months later Maria was struggling to do a transaction at the grocery store since she didn't speak very well english and was sent  to the same detention center that Javier had been at. While she was there her second daughter, Lucia was born. After Lucia was born Maria was also able to get a green card. The two sisters never had to experience never knowing their parents.

Today you can see the happy family of four walking around, going to work, school, the theater, and being a happy family. Javier never made it to see his mother but everyday he prays that she had a fully enjoyable and well lived life. He also prays that she forgave Sra. Pena. He has always hoped that Sra. Pena told his mother what happened but he will never know. All he knows is that his best friend is now his wife and he could wish for nothing more from her or his daughters.