Broken Rings | Teen Ink

Broken Rings

By EstefanyAsencio BRONZE, Nashville, Tennessee
EstefanyAsencio BRONZE, Nashville, Tennessee

I would have never thought that my life would turn out like this. In high school, I was the captain of the cheerleading squad and was also the valedictorian of the class of 2002. I went to Oxford University to study to be a pediatrician and that’s where I met my husband. My husband played Polo there and was studying to be a brain surgeon. It was love at first sight and we believed we were more in love than anyone we knew. Our friends that were couples hated being with us because we made them believe they weren’t in love. I was born into a wealthy family in Beverly Hills. My father was in Congress and my mother was a lawyer, I always had what I wanted no matter what the cost, but I tried to not let money get into my head. My husband is named Max and he too came from a wealthy family. His father was also a brain surgeon and his mother was a bestselling author in Germany. My parents loved Max and and his parents loved me. Max and I got married in Florence, Italy and then honeymooned in Japan. After our honeymoon, we bought our first house in California. Max loved the idea of living in America and I loved where I grew up. We quickly found jobs and with the money we earned we began to buy furniture, cars, decorations and a washer and dryer etc. My life was perfect, we both had everything we needed and wanted except one thing. Max and I wanted a child so badly and dreamed of when we would bring the baby home from the hospital and decorating the nursery room. When we tried to have kids, it wasn’t that long until I became pregnant. We were both so happy that our dreams were coming true. The doctor said our baby was as healthy as could be. As soon as we could find out the sex of the baby, we took the chance. We were having a girl, and we decided to her Anastasia. We began decorating the nursery and I had the best baby shower I could think of. Everything was going great, until I got into a car accident. That day started like every other day. Max gave me a kiss goodbye and said goodbye to the baby too. I had to work late at the hospital, which didn’t happen that much. I was on a stop light and as soon as it turned green, I was hit by a drunk driver. I was rushed to the hospital as soon as the cops came, I was hurt but it wasn’t anything that could risk my life. It did risk the baby’s life. When Max got their, the doctor told him the news first. Our baby didn’t survive. I had never cried that hard in my entire life. I was very depressed and I didn’t leave the house for a while. My boss gave me time off but Max’s boss didn’t. Max began to drink every night and after a while his drinking got worse. Our relationship wasn’t the same, we barely talked and when we did we fought. I realized our marriage wasn’t on the a good track when Max came late at night from drinking and slept in a different room. He wasn’t the sweet, loving and caring guy I met in college, he was now cold and barely even looked at me. With losing the baby and slowly him, I thought my life was over. I found out our marriage was ruined when I took Max’s phone and I found out he had a mistress. The business trips weren’t business trips, they were trips he took at her house.  All of it made sense. He grew apart because there was someone else he loved. I was no longer the girl he promised to spend his entire life with. Our vows meant nothing, we promised to be with each other through thick and thin. I would have never imagined that my life would come to this
When I confronted him about the girl, he did nothing to hide it. He didn’t apologize or talked about making our marriage work out. He even seemed like he was surprised that I just recently found out. It was obvious that our marriage coming to an end. I have to admit that I somehow saw this coming. Deep down inside, I knew that not everyone lived a happily ever after, but I just keep thinking that there was an exception for us.
We got a divorce that year, but I was surprised that I wasn’t as upset as I thought I would be. My life has changed a lot since Max and I seperated. I moved to an apartment in New York and I’m living the life I dreamed of. I’ve spent a lot of money at Time Square and on the poodle I bought myself. Her name is Daisy and she is my best friend in the entire world. When I go home every day, she greets me with such joy and I forget about all the bad that happened in my day. I still miss Max and I sometimes wonder what my life would have been, if I stayed with him. When I think about that, I just remind myself of how happy my life is. I am currently trying to adopt a baby girl named Anastasia and I’ve already decorated a nursery room in my apartment. I have all I need in life and I’ve never been happier. Even though I miss Max sometimes, I am so grateful that I no longer have to wake up everyday and figure out a way to make him happy.