Stranger Land | Teen Ink

Stranger Land

By mrmcguire BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
mrmcguire BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

She was a stranger in a stranger land. In the year 2051 Laura Smith has traveled to the town of Drezzo, Libya to study the not very well known and adorable Fennec Fox. The Fennec is a small white fox with huge ears, this is Laura's favorite animal she has been trying to understand for a while. This will be the first time she has ever seen one in person.

People in the town of Drezzo all dress differently in jazzercise. She has never seen anything like this as she is only 17 years old. People in the town of Drezzo all people are very shy to newcomers. Everyone knows each other in this town and if someone is new they will be treated differently and almost as an alien. Laura doesn't know how to act or what to do when she goes to this town. She came here to study the life of the new barely discovered Fennec Fox.
As Laura is trying to find the Fennec Fox to study its way of life. She’s have trouble due to the unpredictable, and unwelcoming people in the town of Drezzo. With everyday in this down she sees less and less of the Fennec Foxes. She's doesn't understand because it's not time for them to do into hibernations. There really is no reason for them to be disappearing so unexpectedly.
One early thursday morning in Drezzo. Laura woke up to go for her early morning run. She was in the middle of the run when she heard a very unhappy screech. She kept hearing it. She ran towards the terrifying noise. And she saw 2 women and 1 man trying to get the Fennec fox in a cage. They would throw rocks at it and kick it to get in the cage. She ran up to them and pushed them all away as hard as she could. She wasn't a very big girl but she had heart. Heart for the trembling, terrified fox. She stood over the hurt fox for protection and started yelling at the people. They ran away and she followed them. The man and the girls split up. She continued to follow the girls and they went into this huge barn and locked themselves in. There was no way lauren knew how to get in this big barn.
After Laura got the sacred fox in her apartment and was safe and content for the time being. She went to investigate the barn the girls ran into. When she figured out a way to get in by a broken wood panel in the back of the barn. Her first couple steps while inside the barn, she started hearing howling and a strange type of barking. Nothing like the type of barking like our pet dogs. Laura being the curious person she is she went to the noise. She found where it was coming from. She climbed up a hidden ladder. She turned around to find at least 100 if not more cages of entrapped Fennec Foxes. They must of locked them all up because she had came there to study them. Laura was devastated. She didn’t know what to do. She knew that because the natives to the town didn't like newcomers and she was newcomer just there for the Fox. So she broke every lock on every cage and opened the barn doors and let all the foxes run free. She was heartbroken she caused all these helpless animals all this pain. She knew she needed to do something.
She knew that this wasn't a safe place for her loved creature. When she went back home to Colorado the first chance she got. She got in touch with an organization to help animals in danger. The next day after contacting them, Laura and about 10 other people flew back to the small city in Libya. The first people they say were the two ladies Laura caught trying to get the fox in the cage. She and her crew walked right past them with a huge smile on her face. As they began to nicely gather the hundreds of foxes with treats and toys. They flew as many as they could to an uninhabited and open space land where they could live their little lives without the fear of being harmed or endangered. Laura knew that no one could harm them now and they were happy. She knew she did the right thing. She could now do her study in peace with peaceful and absolutely adorable little creatures.

I had to write a short story in my LA class and I had to publish my favorite one. I love animals and think the Fennec Fox is absolutly adorable.

P.s. NO foxes were harmed in the making of this story.