That "School" Day | Teen Ink

That "School" Day

It felt as though it was a regular day as Bob walked into school. He did not realize that this day there would be conflict, and this conflict would require all of his unimaginable intellect. As he walked into his language arts class he remembered; today was the day the school would hand out the laptops they promised to the students 6 months ago. As he sat in his spot he wondered whether or not these laptops would be beneficial to his learning experience.
Immediately the teacher, Mr. John,  said “Class! Now that you have been given a new laptop, I would like you all to write a short story and send it to me by the end of the day.”
Bob was infuriated. The class was in the middle of their midterms however, these weren’t ordinary midterms they were project midterms. These project midterms would take 2-3 weeks including the class time given to them that was supposedly going to be available today. Bob tried to explain to Mr. John that they class had their midterm projects were due in two days, but he would not listen. Bob then began to think about how he could get around his issue. First off Bob would have had horrible writers block because he is only focused on his project.  Secondly Bob wouldn’t have enough time to complete both because the each required a high degree of skill. Bob then realized he would have to remove the assignment, so he went down to the dean’s office and asked for a conference with him. Bob knew that the dean would not remove the assignment, however Mr. John was a renowned teacher at the school and the dean was more willing to give good teachers bonuses than help the kids. Bob then proceeded to tell the dean that Mr. John was not feeling well as he assigned the writing assignment as a way for students not to interact with him because he wasn’t feeling well.
The dean after hearing this story responded with “Ah… I see the issue now. I shall give Mr. John a two week vacation to get better, and after the vacation he will grade all the assignments that should have been finished in that time. Meanwhile, his class shall just be work time and I will find a substitute to make sure there is no misbehaving.”
After hearing this Bob was filled with the excitement of joy. He would have time to work on his project and complete the short story without angering Mr. John