Shattered Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He slowly turns the pliers in his hand, curling the wire around itself. With one last squeeze, the next piece of his beach glass mobile is complete. It sparkles as he holds it up to the sun and translucent brown, blue, and green dance across weathered skin.

The soft sound of clinking glass echoes through the workshop. The small room is furnished with a table and a folding chair. Older mobiles hang from the ceiling, moving slightly from side to side. A 25-year-old fan sits in the corner, blowing softly, ruffling the pages of the book emblazoned with a cross that sits on the corner of the table. One framed photograph stands next to the book. It is of a younger man – brown bottle in hand, arms around a smiling woman – grinning into the camera on a picturesque beach. The photograph isn’t there for happy nostalgia. It is a reminder of what he has lost and what he still has to gain.

He pushes his wire-rimmed glasses up his nose and settles into the worn folding chair. He sifts carefully through the round-edged beach glass, looking for the right piece to attach next.

The browns and greens shine back into his eyes. He can still identify the color of glass that each beer brand used for their bottles. This green is for Hefeweizen, this brown for Budweiser. He wonders, as he always does, if these well-washed shards are from bottles he himself carelessly threw into the ocean.

The mobile is for his granddaughter, Andi. Her brother, Gordon, has a similar one – well, he does if Melissa hasn’t thrown it out. He wouldn’t blame his daughter if she had. She has every right to still hate him. She has every right to ignore his existence.

In his daydreams, the lovingly crafted mobiles hang over the cribs. Melissa and her husband might hate them but decide that the children need something of their only living grandparent. Melissa might use them as a lesson: never touch glass bottles; the stuff inside is pure poison.

Another piece is firmly attached, and he checks his watch. His meeting is in an hour. They are going to play cards. His wife loved cards. Every time they play at a meeting, he is reminded of how she had begged him to go to a meeting, to talk to someone, to call his brother, to play chess with Melissa, to take Max hunting for shells, to walk the dog on the beach, to feed the cat, to do anything but drown himself in a brown glass bottle.

He finds another piece of beach glass and carefully inserts a wire in the small hole, threading his past and tying it in a mobile to hang over his granddaughter’s bed, so she might know some day that he never meant to hurt anyone.

kielymarie said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 5:27 pm:
This was beautiful. Great job

I_am_awesome said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 2:42 pm:
Woah, that was really good. If anyone wants they could check out my ballad.

reckless-abandonmentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 1:03 pm:
this is truly beautiful; the kind of writing i hope to someday reciprocate.

lovetowriteandwatchTV said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 7:27 pm:
very good i certaintly love this piece, keep writing

topschoolauthor15 said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm:
my parents found beach glass in porti rico before, i love the greenish blue color it has as it sparkles as the sun light shines through it against the wall. they are perfectly harmless as long as you don't try to shape it in to having sharp corners or swallow them. when the the glass si in the ocean then the sand around it starts to polish off all the sharp sides of that piece of glass. ^-^ i wear that piece of glass on a necklace around my neck all the time cause it reminds me of the ocean's beach.

a.m.f said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 11:16 am:

love it! it'a amazing :)

if anyone has time, i need ratings and comments on my story, scratching stones. thanks :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm:

Fabulous!  I love the perspective, and how the truth is slowly revealed.  Awesome job!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?

horse95lover said...
May 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm:
Great job!! :)

iKilledBilllyBob said...
May 26, 2010 at 12:34 pm:
I think this was very beautifully writen, but it was a little vivid. keep up the good work :D

LightningCloud said...
May 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm:
I'm not gonna state the obvious, it's a story that vividly displays the scene. Though I'm slightly curious as to why anyone would hang glass shards over a child, regardless of the emotions they symbolize...

hyperactivemayfly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 4, 2010 at 5:57 pm :
I think the person in the story is talking about beach glass, ("if these well-washed shards are from bottles he himself carelessly threw into the ocean") which comes from (mostly beer bottles) thrown in the ocean, and then the waves' force alters the glass, so when it is washed up, it's smooth and really harmless unless you swallow it. 

hotrodhammer123 said...
May 4, 2010 at 9:35 am:
GOOD JOB MATE!!!!

charzard said...
May 4, 2010 at 7:37 am:
great piece of writing. i want to knw what made melissa hate him! this is a really great work. 5 stars (:

AriaRulzTheWorld replied...
May 26, 2010 at 5:37 am :
Melissa hates him because he was an alcoholic. if you check the ending, it says 'to walk the dog, feed the cat, to do anything but drown himself in a brown glass bottle.' the brown glass bottle is a beer bottle, and to drown him in it would be to get drunk. if you just go over the piece more, you'll get some of the more hidden meanings. 

Grrcya said...
I really enjoyed it. I just wish I knew what happened, y'know?

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow. incredible. once i started readingg, i couldnt stop. plzz keep writing!!!

ZAVERY said...
I really love the effect you put into this! Really nice work!

ByThyName said...
Just going to say I really like this

E.LeeXxX3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 10:22 am:
LOVE it!!!!!!

PrincessPineapple said...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:29 am:
This is Amazing! I love how you slowly revealed what the man was doing.