Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.

on Jun. 28 2010 at 9:58 am
Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

This is a great story! It's sad & sweet!

This shows TRUE talent.

Amazing job writing this! :)

on Jun. 23 2010 at 11:29 am
I.Luv.Writing BRONZE, New Haven, Connecticut

''There is always room for improvement''

The story was great! Love how you tied the title to the end of the story. Very creative.

on Jun. 20 2010 at 11:48 pm
TeamJacobArchuleta2 SILVER, Beverly Hills, California

He's the one I call late at night, the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regrets, I just haven't found him yet.

Wow, that was truly incredible!!! I really enjoyed this piece. Wonderful job! :)

on Jun. 20 2010 at 10:09 pm
Serendipity_Pen GOLD, Shakopee, Minnesota

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
~ Arthur C. Clarke
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool then to speak and remove all doubt." ~Abraham Lincoln

Thats so sad! thats an amazing piece of writing that shows that not everything is as it seems. It deserves all of the best. Congradulations!

on Jun. 20 2010 at 12:41 pm
Smileyky108 BRONZE, Venetia, Pennsylvania
incredible. You're a really talented writer!

on Jun. 20 2010 at 10:55 am
fairytaledreamer BRONZE, Mt. Olive, New Jersey

~trying to make sense of love is like trying to dissect a rainbow
~laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever
~life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

This was absolutely amazing! you are a really great writer! This piece was fantastic

on Jun. 20 2010 at 10:34 am
ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

wow. i love this. i dont know where you got the inspiration for this story, but i hope it isnt something happening to you in real life.

Chetan BRONZE said...
on Jun. 20 2010 at 1:01 am
Chetan BRONZE, New Delhi, Other

Hi Kelsey,

You've got great idea and imagination. You are also good at expressing feelings of your character and making good words. Your language is interesting for readers and it is all good.

Nonetheless, you have got a smart writing. But unfortunately, the plot you are using is already used number of times. However, your story is great I, you can think of something else. Great to read your work. Will read more from you.

Regards

-Chetan

on Jun. 16 2010 at 10:28 pm
ImaginationStation BRONZE, Amboy, Illinois

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Wow, I take an active part in Livestrong Association, and this is a reminder of why I'm so strong into Livestrong. Amazing job(:

JessieB SILVER said...
on Jun. 16 2010 at 8:01 pm
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

one word. WOW. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS.

a.m.f BRONZE said...
on Jun. 16 2010 at 2:42 pm
a.m.f BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida

"God never shuts a door unless he opens another."

I like it. I'm amazed.  Keep on writing because I really enjoyed this! If you don't mind, please check out my story, Scratching Stones.  Thank you :)

on Jun. 15 2010 at 1:23 pm
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

So sad, very realistic, great job!  I could totally understand what the girl was thinking.  Amazing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?

on Jun. 14 2010 at 6:02 pm
vampyre_girl BRONZE, Shamong, New Jersey
love it!!!!!!!!!!

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Jun. 8 2010 at 6:32 pm
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

Yeah same here

on Jun. 7 2010 at 7:56 pm
littleleyah SILVER, Ozona, Texas

"When one doesnt belive nothing good can com from that." (ME!))

Read my work please! Comment too! Many thank yous!

EllieK. BRONZE said...
on Jun. 6 2010 at 6:00 pm
EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

"Sometimes life sucks, so suck it up"
-ME

""We succeeded in taking that picture (from deep space), and if you look a it, you see a dot. Thats here. That's home. Thats us. On it, everyone you ever heard of

This is such a beautiful story. It touches me each time I read it and it really amazing. Love it, love it, love it.

If anyone wouldn't mind checking out any of my work that would be wonderful. I'll check out yours too.

Thanks, Elliek

on May. 29 2010 at 10:09 pm
MyTeacherMadeMeDoIt PLATINUM, Grand Haven, Michigan

I dream of a world where chickens are free to cross the rode without their motives being questioned. (A friend)

wow at first i though ugh its just a story about a teen who thinks she ugly then i kept reading and thought ugh she has an eating disorder to and then u said she had cancer and i was like wow this is truly amazing and utterly new. Great job

on May. 29 2010 at 8:52 pm
jessica.cherish.conner GOLD, Elk Grove, California

This was super surprising!.. at first it thought i was going to be about the "typical" everyday struggle to fit in as a teenage girl.. and then it said CANCER and i automaticaly put the pieces together like the "eye bags" and the "balding" this is a really touching story.. & if you get  chance you should look at mine..

ps. it was ... Perfect.

dude:) said...
on May. 29 2010 at 8:34 pm
I feel part of the narrator of the story. What she is feeling and suffering. It is brilliant! It kind of reminds me of my sisters keeper

on May. 29 2010 at 8:11 pm
Amber_Lov3 GOLD, Hamden, Ohio

I Is me is I
I done did said what i said i wouldnt do!

that was amazing  i loed it