Your Worst Enemy | Teen Ink

Your Worst Enemy

June 25, 2016
By The_Gypsy BRONZE, Sault Ste Marie, Michigan
The_Gypsy BRONZE, Sault Ste Marie, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War


I am your worst enemy. Why? You will soon find out… or soon remember.

    Firstly, I know you personally and mentally. I can tell your next plan of action precisely and faster than anyone else. On a side note, I also know your deepest secrets as well.

I know who you hate with a dark passion and who you love with all of your heart. I know why you pride yourself selfishly while you claim to be humbled by all things. I understand why you don't give, so you can sufficient your greedy ambitions. I can see who you covet and who you wish to disown. I know who you envy with malicious intent, wishing you were better than them; sending forth the ashes of defeat upon them. I know you desire to gorge yourself with food and drink while the starved plead for your mercy at your very doorstep. You are a habitual offender for being a sloth, disregarding orders to be good and diligent in this world. You have not the care for the world around you, only caring about yourself.

I enjoy watching you fail at life, though. I actually encourage your foolhardy behavior constantly throughout the day. Naturally, enemies do this as I enjoy being your nemesis.

I discourage you from doing good things; I seduce you from your good-hearted will. I am your bully. I always know where you are at all times and encourage you to be known to me. I am your stalker. I criticize your every good-natured action. I am your critic. I don't believe in your good intentions. I am your cynic.

I am good nor evil. I have no desires to do anything else other than to hinder your Test of Life. I am not another person nor another thing. I am not a figment of your imagination. I am not the Devil himself. I will tell you who I am so you will know and fear me.

I am you and you are me. I am your worst nightmare and you will always be my victim. Unless you take a stand and recognize me as a threat, a hinder to your life. After that, none will oppose your good intentions not even your worst enemy, You.


The author's comments:

Everyone has this enemy. It becomes known when you reach the Age of Reasoning and this enemy stays with you for the rest of your precious days on this precious planet. I personally still have problems with this enemy but every day that I overcome it, it becomes less of a threat and more of a friend. Which would ultimately lead to a joyful and plentiful life in the end.