The bandit | Teen Ink

The bandit

April 9, 2016
By laurenlovebug BRONZE, Amissville, Virginia
laurenlovebug BRONZE, Amissville, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

"You won't get away with this!"

A girls voice echoed through the trees. The boy stopped in his tracks after hearing the voice, fear gripping at his chest. I shouldn't have done it, he thought, glancing down at the loaded sack in his hands. But he shook his head. It was too late. If he went back, she would kill him. All he could do was run. He slung the bag over his shoulder and continued running through the forest.

Only a moment later, the sound of galloping horses came from behind him. He knew right away, they were after him. He also knew, it was only a matter of time before they caught up to him. He was fast, fastest in his class as a matter of fact, but he knew he couldn't outrun a herd of horses.

Suddenly, he saw his salvation. A huge mountain stood in his path, and he could vaguely make out the entrance of a cave, right in front of him. A smile crossed his face for the first time that night, and after doubling his pace, he was able to duck inside just in time.

The captain pulled on her horses reins, skidding to a halt right in front of the darkness the bandit had disappeared into.

"Stay here," she spoke to the riders behind her,"I'll go in after him."

The captain dismounted, and taking a torch from one of her men, pressed onward. She grimaced at the smell of the place- fungus and mold came to mind. If it weren't for that, she'd almost enjoy being in there.

Holding the torch in front of her, she could see a good ten feet ahead. The end of the cave was approaching, and in the corner she could see a huddled figure wrapped in a black cloak.

"Give it back." she demanded, unsheathing the sword that had previously been at her waist.

"No." the boy said stubbornly,"I will not."

"Then I'm gonna have to kill you."

"Not if I kill you first." he pulled a small knife out from underneath his shirt, and after tucking the bag safely in the corner, rose to face her.

"Ha! You think that little knife can defeat my sword?" she had had a lot of practice wielding the sword she held and she trusted the skills she had acquired over the years.

"Maybe not..." he admitted, scratching his head in thought. Suddenly, an idea struck him,"Stay here." he said, before disappearing through the wall.

The captain crossed her arms, rolling her eyes with a sigh. A good minute or so had passed, before the bandit finally returned, holding what looked like a torch. The captain's torch had inspired him to get one of his own.

"What are you gonna do with that?" she asked.

"It's a torch, like yours. Except mine is magic. See, mine's red." he replied with a devilish grin, holding it up so the light shone directly in the captains eyes.

"Hey! Don't do that!" she yelled covering her eyes,"You could make me go blind!"

"Well, I don't care."

"I'm telling mom!"

And suddenly, the cave, wasn't a cave anymore. The two stood underneath a makeshift fort of blankets and pillows, which was barely tall enough for both of them to be upright in. In the corner, was a plastic bag filled with stuffed animals. The terrible smell had been coming from a bowl of cereal that had been left out for a few days.

In the captains hand was a plastic sword, one which she'd had for years. On the ground beside her was a big flashlight which she'd grabbed just before heading into the fort. The boy didn't have a sword like his sister did, but he'd found a roll of toilet paper which he'd been hoping to fight her off with. In his hand was his spiderman flashlight, which had a red light bulb, making the light that shone off of it red as well.

The girl rushed out of the fort, with her brother hot on her heels. Their mother would hear two different stories, and they both wanted to tell their side of it first.