My Story | Teen Ink

My Story

By melissa.org BRONZE, Highland, Utah
melissa.org BRONZE, Highland, Utah

I was strolling down the street just like any other Tuesday night. I desperately wished I could use the car my folks gave me for my 16th birthday a few months ago, but I didn’t have enough money for gas.
I walked down the crowded streets of New York City trying not to bump into anyone. Right now I was walking back from Arby’s, where I just turned in the job application. I was turning in job applications to basically every fast food place. I needed money for gas so I could actually drive the car my parents gave me.
Finally I approached my small tiny home. It had yellow walls, and an old roof that was starting to crack. It wasn’t much, but it was home.
“Mom! I’m home!” I exclaimed, as I walked into the small living room. I set my old ratty purse on the couch. I studied the couch for a moment, noticing the rips in the cushions.
Suddenly my mom walked in, breaking my train of thought. “Oh honey. How did the job interview go?” She wondered aloud.
“Mom, I thought I told you. It wasn’t an interview. I was just going to pick up an application.” I tried to explain.
She walked over and gave me a hug. “Goodnight, sweety.” She whispered sweetly. I said a quick “You too.” And went to get ready for bed.
I walked into my room and looked at my walls with old lavender colored wallpaper. My mother chose it for me. I closed the door and plopped down on my hard mattress. I must’ve been very tired because I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.
I woke up from the sound of my alarm clock. I groaned as I turned it off. I decided it was time to get ready for school.
I quickly got ready and ate breakfast. I brushed through my vibrant red hair. As soon as I was done I hugged my mom, grabbed my backpack and walked out the door.
“Goodbye, Mama.” I said, as before I closed the door.
“Goodbye, Rachel.” I faintly heard her say before I shut the door completely. Little did I know that would be the last time I saw her.
When I got home from school I noticed the smoke coming from my house. I slowly approached, hoping it was just the fireplace. I looked up and saw the burnt remains of my house. Ashes were crumbling to the ground as I was inspecting the remains. I knelt down and inspected an old photo of our family going to the beach. Oh no! Mom and Dad! I hoped they got it out of the house in time. Too bad I was wrong.
The tears came slow and steady at first, but eventually that turned into loud jarring sobs. I had nowhere to go. I was only 16. Then I remembered about my aunt and uncle.  They were the only family I had left.
A few hours later the police showed up. I couldn’t comprehend what they were saying. I was too upset about my dead parents. They told me they would come with me to talk to my aunt and uncle.
I figured that would be a good idea. They couldn’t turn me down if the police were with me, could they? I decided not to think about that right now.
I walked up to the house strolling behind the police. Wow, their house is HUGE! They knocked on the door while I bounced on the balls of my feet.
“Is there a problem officers?” I heard the voice of Aunt Judy.
“Hi, Aunt Judy.” I waved to her.
“Oh! Hello Rachel! How have you been? We haven’t seen your family in a while.” At the mention of my family I burst into tears. The police told me that this is normal and grief would do this to someone.
“Oh honey, what’s wrong?” She brought me in and hugged me. She stroked my hair and comforted me in a motherly affection.
The police explained to her the situation. She nodded in understanding.
“Oh Rachel! I’m so sorry! Of course you can stay with us.”
She let me into the house and that was the day my life changed. Maybe it was the start of something new.

I thought really deep about what I should write about. I decided to write about something that I wanted to submit. This is just the truth.