Tis The Season of Reality | Teen Ink

Tis The Season of Reality

February 17, 2016
By midnightmetanoia PLATINUM, Gaithersburg, Maryland
midnightmetanoia PLATINUM, Gaithersburg, Maryland
39 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Soon madness has worn you down. It’s easier to do what it says than argue. In this way, it takes over your mind. You no longer know where it ends and you begin. You believe anything it says. You do what it tells you, no matter how extreme or absurd. If it says you’re worthless, you agree. You plead for it to stop. You promise to behave. You are on your knees before it, and it laughs."
— Marya Hornbacher


Pure white snowflakes float delicately down from the heavens blanketing the ground in their beauty. Tiny feet patter across the surface leaving tiny footprints on the earths canvas painting the idyllic life of endless dreams carried by the fairy dust of youth. Wreaths are hung upon each door and the world is wrapped up with a ribbon like a gift. Bright twinkling lights are strung throughout the trees and the air is thick with the scent of warm gingerbread. With bright red cheeks the children disappeared into their homes. The feast is had, the hugs and greetings exchanged, the presents unwrapped and the children tucked into bed and then night falls and the colorful lights are extinguished, taken down, and packed away. The magic is broken as morning breaks with the children no longer young. The plastic needles of lifeless evergreens which litter their homes are the only reminder of the illusion of beauty which they’d once experienced. It’s time to grow up now. Sorrow and pain ravage the streets in acts of defiance and revenge against the society that humanity has created. And the humanity which society has destroyed. Dead to the beauty of their youth, the children disappeared into reality.