The Breakup | Teen Ink

The Breakup

By mariahstokes GOLD, Bronx, New York
mariahstokes GOLD, Bronx, New York

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

“I've thought about our future”. Her voice sounded tight, like she had been crying earlier and I knew then. My face must have fallen because she was quick to add 
“You’re a great person, and you’ve been a great girlfriend, its just…” she paused and somewhere in my gut I desperately hoped she would reveal her gorgeous smile and say that she was joking and then we could go back to eating sushi, and later go back to her dorm and cuddle while watching a disney movie and just be happy.
“I don’t think this is the right thing for me at this point in my life.” She finished. And there it was. The cold truth.
“Don’t tell me you want to focus on your career as a sophomore in college” I attempted to joke, my voice sounding weaker than I had wanted. I wanted to sound okay with this, I wanted her to not look at me the way she was because those blue eyes filled with pity was the one thing I couldn't take and I could feel myself start to cry in the middle of the restaurant. 
“I’m so sorry, can we just…finish our food and leave?”
“I’m not hungry all of a sudden.”
“Come on, you love sushi.” she was trying to cheer me up, but she was wrong. I liked sushi, I loved her. I refolded the red napkin, my hands stiff. I caught the eye of a passing waiter and for the first time in my life I couldn't muster a smile in return. I went into my purse and pulled out a few crumpled bills.
“I’m gonna go.” I said, standing up.
“Sarah, I hope everything works out for you, I really do.” I nodded and I wanted to wish her the same, but I didn't trust myself to open my mouth. I could feel the tears falling down my cheeks and despite the fact that everything felt numb I made my way towards the glowing exit sign.