Be Yourself and Being Different | Teen Ink

Be Yourself and Being Different

February 1, 2016
By DaniaZie GOLD, Shah Alam, Selangor, Other
DaniaZie GOLD, Shah Alam, Selangor, Other
11 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And remember one thing, the second day is always better than the first"
- Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day


They say that the brightest smiles hide the darkest (or deepest) secrets. They also say that the brightest smile has cried the most tears. He knew that it was all true. He knew it. Every single time he looked in the mirror, he saw a mask. He saw someone trying so hard to fit in, to find a place in this world. The world everyone destroys. Perhaps he’s trying too hard.

But somehow, everyone he met believed his lies and his smiles. Somehow, for whatever reason, he has to please everyone. He has to please society. He has to be perfect. Even if it doesn’t exist. He wondered how many people thought that he and his friends were just wannabes. Wannabe cool guys. Probably everyone, but maybe just a few, he mused. All his friends already gone home from school.

“Okay, lost guy, what’s going on in that head of yours?” said a voice. He looked up to see a girl around his height.

“Lost guy?”?

“You look lost and you’re a guy, so you’re a lost guy,” she stated.

“So, what’s going on in that head of yours?”

“Do I know you?” he asked.

“No, but you look like you’re going to scream in five seconds,” she said dryly.

“Tell me who you are and I’ll consider.”

The girl sighed and said, “I’m Alex.”

“I’m Tyler,” he answered.

“So what’s wrong, Tyler?”

“Have you ever felt as if you’re the fakest person out there?” he said. “Have you ever felt as if you don’t know you are anymore because you’ve tried to be someone you’re not for so long?”

She nodded once and motioned him to go on.

“I feel that every single day. Every single bloody day. And I can barely take it anymore. I just want to be gone. I’ve tried to be like my friends for so long, I’ve become them. They consumed my own identity.”

“I know. I observed your group.”

“Why? We’re just a group of wannabes.”

“That’s exactly why I observed your group. You see, Tyler, you try to be perfect to your friends. You try to be perfect. You’re not because perfect doesn’t exist. Don’t listen to society. Do what you like. Don’t try to be your friends. That’s what I call self-destruction.  I noticed how you, without your friends, are so lost. You’re the odd one out, despite what people think. Your friends have become a part of you, and that’s not safe. You depend on your friends too much. What will happen when your friends are not around? Be yourself, and if that means being different, then so be it. It’s not easy to change, I know, I’m trying to do it but when is change an easy thing?”?

He listened to her speech with amazement. They barely knew each other and she seemed to care about him more than his own friends care about him.

“Don’t feel so special about it. I give this speech to everyone,” she said, a humorous glint in her eye. It was as if she managed to read his mind.

“How do you know what I was thinking about?”

“Your face says it all,” she said.

He didn’t have time to reply when it started raining. Everyone started taking shelter — except Alex.

“Aren’t you coming in, Alex?”

“I love the rain and seeing how it’s just drizzling for now, I’ll stay out here.”

“Then, I’ll stay here with you.”

They both waited in silence when he said, “You’re different.”

“Everyone is.”

“But you’re different in an eccentric way.”

“Got it from my dad. His eccentricity is really… there’s no words to put it,” she said and she saw a car coming near. “My ride’s here, I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Sure,” he nodded. “Bye,” he waved.

“Bye.”

He had a feeling that they will be great friends.


The author's comments:

It's just a guy and a girl being friends. Nothing more. A bit cliché, probably.