Happy Place | Teen Ink

Happy Place

By audreylinhwrites BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
audreylinhwrites BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

She lay in her room, night after night after night. A single tear fell down her face but before it had reached her jaw she swept it away. The anxiety from her school and social life had gotten to her. She turned away from the work in front of her and instead focused on her single light on the center of her ceiling. She attempted to run her finger through her tangled hair but then gave up, like she did most things. Her emotions lusted towards her heart leaving her with more tears in her eyes. The sadness had overwhelmed her brain making her hop off her bed towards her closet. She grasped for the metal doorknob allowing herself to feel free. To anyone it would just be a dark closet with clothes, but she had felt herself drifting in the subtle breeze. The birds had chirped her name as the leaves rustled around, welcoming her into her happy place.
Suddenly she was pulled back to reality when her name was called downstairs for dinner. She stepped from her happy place back into the dark cold reality she’d been living. Her sweatpants rubbed together as she made her way downstairs. When she reached the bottom she’d felt a slight breeze from jogging down so quickly. Her mother chirped to her what she had made while her father smiled and said, “Hey Audrey! Time for dinner!” At that moment Audrey had realized that with her family was her happy place.