Redemption | Teen Ink

Redemption

By Sarah123456 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Sarah123456 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Redemption is defined as the action of regaining or gaining possession of something. The first time I remember redeeming myself was when I was in the fourth grade. It was a thirty five foot cliff. The year before I had walked away from the cliff jumping rock with my head hung low. I left with regret. The sound of my older brother and my older sister hitting the water kept replaying in my head. My feet were half way off the edge ready to leap but my arms grasped the railing and would not let go. I had looked at my brother and sister and what used to be faces of encouragement had turned to faces that were disappointed. Even the faces on my parents showed they had also lost hope. The sun set that evening.
The next summer had approached, and I was a year older. This time I would not leave in regret. Not a day had gone by where I had not thought about this moment and the people I had not proven myself to. I could not go anther day with them reminding me about the time I chickened out. I was better then this. I was better. I had done everything else they did and followed in their footsteps the best I could. But I had not jumped off the cliff. I was not “one” of them.
The sun shone on the cliff jumping rock. I had grown, I believed in myself and I was not going to let this opportunity pass me by again. I reached out and felt the moisture in the air, and the brutal sun glared on my face.
“I can do this,” I forced myself to say. I wanted to scream but I could not find enough breathe. My feet felt less heavy walking up the cliff. One after another I was at the top.
“This time I am going to go first.” My brother and sister looked at each other, but said nothing.  They had turned their attention back to me.  I went through the routine; placed my feet farther out on the edge and my hands gripped the railing. My hands gripping the railing not as tight, yet this time I felt more gravity keeping me to this rock. This time was different. I felt it. I knew it, yet I could not put my finger on it. This is either the feeling you get right before you do not follow through on something or the final thought of fear before accomplishing something, I thought. I had wished I were in my bed, really anywhere but on this cliff right now in time. This was going to be last thought of fear.
My parents were faint shapes in the distance at the bottom and I saw my mother looking away. In a matter of seconds my parents and I were at the same level. I heard the faint noise of my sibling cheering and the cheering gradually got softer and softer. There voices echoed and it was the only thing that kept replaying in my head. And the water crashed. My feet stung. I had jumped. I had done it. I was “one” of them. I heard two more splashes in the background, and my brother and sister ran out and hugged me. I knew then that was a moment I would never forget. That was a moment that would never leave, and a feeling that would stay with me the rest of my life. My fear was defeated and I had accomplished something. I had redeemed myself.