The Mavericks | Teen Ink

The Mavericks

November 25, 2015
By Lauren246 BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
Lauren246 BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me. 2 Timothy 4:17


The King and Queen of Eunoia are watching their country fall apart. The Maverick Rebellion is thriving, putting the monarchy at stake. The adopted Princess of Eunoia, Princess Eva, is being prepared to become the new Queen... in hope that under her authority the country might survive.
However, Princess Eva has another idea: one that nobody except for her best friend knows about. Eva's friend, Blaine Sanders, is a poor village boy. Through the Princess's secret visits to him, Eva learns that not only is Blaine practically penniless... but almost everyone in Eunoia is.
Princess Eva knows that becoming the new Queen won't stop the Mavericks. Together, Eva and Blaine come up with a plan that will stop the true villains of Eunoia: the Monarchs

 

Prologue

Here's how my story goes: I was ordinary, then I was considered worthless, and now I'm admired by all.
I used to live in the western villages, near the border between Eunoia and Talpirda. Mama and Papa and I all lived together in a small house, with just enough space for our quaint family.
When the war started up, we had to evacuate the region – most people living in the western villages did. We made do with what we had after that, which was very, very little.
When the Rebels found us, I was only four. Mama and Papa told me to hide, so I did.

I watched the Rebels kill them.

When all was silent, I ran as fast as I could... away from the sight of their lifeless bodies. I'm not sure how far I ran, but I somehow found my way into the hands of a palace guard. When he asked me where my parents were and I told him what had happened, he took me into the palace. For two weeks, I dined with the servants– but the meals were some the best food I had ever eaten.
During those two weeks, Eunoia's guards totally obliterated the Rebels, and all was safe again.
Queen Lillian had known for several months that she was not able to have any children. From the moment she saw me, I knew she loved me. She would personally tuck me in at night, and sometimes would even read me a bedtime story.
So, I was taken in as the adopted princess. I was no longer called 'Eva,' but rather 'Princess Eva.' Even though the King and Queen weren't actually my parents, they did their best to make sure I felt welcomed and comforted.
And I did. Boy, was the palace life far different from life in a village. I even started calling the King and Queen 'Mom' and 'Dad.'
When I was around ten, Mom and Dad took me on a trip to the Centre Square, which at the time was becoming more run down than ever. There I met a boy, Blaine Sanders. Blaine and I got along really well. Up until I was fourteen, I went to see him with my family at least once a month, when we visited the Centre Square to speak. I cared about Blaine. When he turned thirteen, he started living alone because his father left him without notice or explanation. The Centre Square began to fall apart more and more.
The older I got, however, the harder it became to visit him. There began to be talk of a new Rebellion, with the people called 'Mavericks.'
I began sneaking out, telling the guards I was walking around to the front gardens when really I would sprint out of the gates and run the two miles to see Blaine. I would sneak him food to try to improve his health. He was already a tall, strong man– but he always struggled to get enough food because his garden space was very minuscule. He never stole. I was the only one that needed to steal from the palace– for his sake.
At fifteen, on one of my sneak visits to see Blaine, I noticed almost everyone in Centre Square was struggling to get food in the same way that Blaine was. In fact, if you didn't live within the palace walls, getting food or even shelter was a daily challenge.
Now I'm seventeen. And I understand why so many people hate Mom and Dad... because practically everyone in Eunoia is penniless and they're not doing a thing about it.
And Mom and Dad don't know it, but I'm going to take down the monarchy.
I joined the Maverick rising a year ago... and I'm getting closer and closer to helping end the poverty in our kingdom.
And to do that, I must tear apart our monarchy brick by brick.