The Call to the Office | Teen Ink

The Call to the Office

By Timothy_Jacob GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Timothy_Jacob GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

“Janine can never get anything right.” I thought to myself.
   It’s 8:30am on a Saturday and I am getting called into the office for whatever unknown reason. I am interning for this music label to get an extra credit for college. One more year and I will finally be finished. I am studying to be a music producer in LA, so I signed up for an internship at a music label in Loyola Marymount, California. Although I mainly just make coffee runs, it’s a very stressful job. I hop in the shower, and started thinking,
    “What if something serious is going on?”
  My stomach cringes and I wonder maybe I did something wrong. I get out the shower, get dressed, grab my keys then head out to my car. I remember a few weeks ago she mentioned if we didn’t get more artists in, we might have to close and that could mean interference with my internship. In order to get my credit I have to have at least one thousand hours, and I am only at three-hundred and seventy four hours. Not to mention, it was too late to apply for another internship now.
     The cars in front of me start slowing down.
     “Good, a red light, now try to figure this out Ny.”
A handful of thoughts start running through my mind.
  “What if we are closing?”
“I’ll never get my credit.”
  It’s too late to find another label now.”
  “What if she’s firing me for accidently dropping her French vanilla latte yesterday?”
  “Or maybe she just wants someone to do her errands.”
     A loud horn snaps me out of deep thought. I look up and it’s a green light again. I press lightly on the pedal terrified of what I might be walking into.
      “I think I should stop and buy her a French vanilla latte just to be safe.”
    I pull up to the parking lot with my heart in the pit of my stomach and her latte in my hand. I put my head down for one final thought and prayer.
      “Come on God, you’ve never failed me before, don’t fail me now.”
   I take a deep breath head towards the building. I get inside to see it deserted, I start to question
  “Is she even here?”
  Crap, spoke to soon. I turned my head towards her office to see a small light from the window. I couldn’t really see inside though, because she had her blinds down. I sigh, then start walking towards my horrid fate, but as I get closer I hear voices.
  “Shh... I think I saw her” said a voice.
  “Oh my God Nyla, you’re about to get kidnapped. RUN!”
That thought shot me sprinting towards the first exit sign I saw. As soon as I was ready to burst through the doors a familiar tune made me stop. I turned around to realize it was coming from Janine’s office. I slowly creeped back towards the door. I hesitantly opened the door and…
  “Congratulations!”
“What’s going on?” I asked confused.
I look around to see all of my friends and family in Janine’s office. Janine heads towards me and says,
  “Congratulations Nyla”
“For what?” I asked.
She goes on to tell me that one of my co-workers was listening to the mixtape I remixed and suggested she listen to it. Well… She did!
  “I would like to promote you; how would you like to remix records for our artists in the studio?” She asked.
“I would love to!”
“Great, I will see you first thing Monday morning. Now go enjoy your party”
  I wish I would have been happier, but I dropped Janine’s latte all over me from the startle of the surprise.
  “It’s all over now, you can relax.” I thought to myself.
Now time to go get my party on.