Charlie's Big Wave | Teen Ink

Charlie's Big Wave

September 27, 2015
By coleman1 BRONZE, Zionsville, Indiana
coleman1 BRONZE, Zionsville, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Charlie’s Big Wave

“Charlie, Charlie!” The teacher said waking him up from his dream “Go down to the office,” she said. He didn’t know why he was being called down but he did not care; anything was better than having to sit there in that hard uncomfortable seat.
He saw his dad waiting in the office and he said, “Go get your stuff I have a surprise for you.”  When they walked out to their truck, there was a surf board in the back.  His dad said, “Surprise!”
Charlie mumbled, “Oh, great” as they drove home to get their swim suits and towels and make their way to the beach. While they were in the car, his dad said, “I know it’s been hard on you moving to Hawaii with me and leaving all of your friends behind but it’s what’s best for our family.”
Surfing was what a lot of the people did there and his dad thought that if maybe little Charlie could surf he could make some friend doing it. It didn’t take them long to get there because of the fact that their new house was not far from the beach, that was one thing that Charlie liked.
When they got there, there was a man who greeted them with “Aloha.” He was the surf instructor. He talked to his dad for a short time, probably getting all of the basics, then the instructor said, “Ok, let’s get started now!”  They had been there about 20 min with the board in the sand doing what the instructor said like, “Paddle out, now up on board.” Charlie thought it was odd that we would practice on the sand first and not the water but that’s what the instructor said so he went along. Finally, after all the practice on the board the instructor said now you will ride the waves.
It was a breezy day and the sky was light. Charlie paddled out to a safe spot to ride a smaller wave to get the hang of it. When he got out there, he could see it his first wave and did exactly what he had practiced a million times in the sand. Paddle out and jump on the board and then Charlie had done it he rode his very first wave. His dad and the instructor cheered. After that he kept on riding the waves and eventually the instructor left.
The sun was setting but it was still warm outside and then it started to sprinkle. A little while later as the rain was picking up, his dad said, “Hey get your board and let’s get out of this rain.”
Charlie responded, “Ok, last one.” Because it was his last wave of the day he wanted to do something big. He paddled out far in the water as his dad was telling him to come back in a little closer but he just yelled back, “I will be back in a minute”.  It was then Charlie saw a monster wave coming. By then the rain was pouring. He paddled toward it and jumped on the board and was about to surf this thing but then he started to get nervous.
The wave hit with its powerful might knocking Charlie off his board and throwing him into the water and tossing him around like a rag doll. When his dad saw Charlie go down, he knew that it was bad.  He jumped in the water fighting the waves to get to his son. He saw him floating there in the water lifeless and swam out to him and he grabbed him by the arm. He notice that he was bleeding from his head and unconscious. It was bad. He tried with all his might to get to the beach.
He eventually made it back to the beach dragging his son. He took off his shirt trying desperately to keep pressure on the wound. He took out his phone out of his wet pocket but it was not working because of the water.
He picked Charlie back up and put him in the back of his car trying to get to the hospital as quickly as possible zooming through the streets. Then the worst thing he could hear were sirens. It was the police.  As the cop walked over, he could not stop tapping the steering wheel. He was anxious to get his son some help. When the officer final made his way to the car, it felt like an eternity had passed. Before the officer could ask his first question, he blurted out, “ I have to get my son some help!” The officer then looked in the back and saw Charlie lying there with the shirt around his head. He said, “Alright follow me,” and he escorted them to the hospital.  When they finally got there, a gurney was waiting and they put Charlie down on it with an oxygen mask and wheeled him into the hospital they told his dad to wait in the hall.
After about 15 minutes, they called him in.  Charlie was awake and had a bandage around his head. His dad asked how he was but Charlie just said he was fine but couldn’t remembered what happened. As they were checking out, Charlie looked out at the TV hanging on the wall as it was saying that the huge storm was over and that the weather would be alright for the rest of the week. He still didn’t remember what exactly happened but he figured it had something to do with the storm.
When he and his dad were leaving, they hopped in the car and His dad took him to an ice cream place that everyone had been telling him they had to go to. Then he started to explain everything, he said, “Charlie that blow you took to the head was very serious.” Then he started to tear up. He said, “You are suffering from a little memory loss right now but the doctors said it should all start to come back to you eventually.”  Dad continued, “Don’t be worried all you have to do is be you and everything will come back.”
 


The author's comments:

Story for language arts class