A New Kid In The House | Teen Ink

A New Kid In The House

A New Kid In The House

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Jack who was super outgoing, fun to be with, but only with people he knew. He moved from West Desmoines High School in Iowa to Cosumnes Oaks High School in Elk Grove, CA. He was a straight A student. Once enrolled in Cosumnes Oaks High School, he joined various clubs and was very active in his new school. However, he still was not able to make any friends.

There was an upcoming event at COHS which would provide him with the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. He was eager to go. He arrived to the after school party just in time as the other kids arrived, music was loud, kids started playing games. As he walked in, he tried to make eye contact, walked up to kids and said hello. But the kids would walk away from him in their own groups, so he pulled up a chair and sat down. As he sat watching the other kids having fun, he wondered if he should even be there. After about 30 minutes, just as he was getting ready to call his mom to pick him up, a girl walked in and asked if she could sit next to him. She introduced herself and they started talking. Their converstation lasted only until her friends came in, one by one, she kept on introducing him to her friends. Very soon, he was up on his feet, playing games, dancing to tunes he had never heard before, singing or should I say screaming on top of his lungs. This was one evening he would never forget for a very, very long time. So a new, shy kid comes to a new school, meets new people, makes new friends, has the time of his life, ends up making friends for life. Now this is what I call a happy ending.