Prologue for Valerie: Dark Wings or Angels in Shadows? | Teen Ink

Prologue for Valerie: Dark Wings or Angels in Shadows?

By happysappygirl101 GOLD, WonderLand,
happysappygirl101 GOLD, WonderLand,

Words are tools; to educate, support, mend, and express. They shouldn't be used to break down each other's minds... they should be used to fill the empty spaces in our heads with insight, in order to see what most eyes can't.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a raven? That may seem like an odd question, but humour me for a moment. Picture yourself as a raven: dull beak, black feathers from head to toe, and only able to caw in response to others.To humans, you'd be a gloomy symbol of death and darkness, as established by the works of Poe and Shakespeare. Most people would either find you to be depressing, or simply a stupid, cawing nuisance, only because you're a raven.

What most people don't realize is that ravens (such as yourself) are very wise. Ravens can imitate the calls of other birds, and can create their own toys and tools, using materials in their environment. By nature, ravens are actually very social and playful creatures. Despite these positivies, as a raven, you would still be considered an idotic, soulless creature, due to the stigma surrounding the black-coloured birds. Ravens are often judged based on appearances, and not their actual personalities.

These are some reasons why I find ravens interesting. I often watch them while going out for an evening stroll or rainy day walk, with admiration and respect. Maybe I like ravens so much because they enjoy rain and the nighttime as much as I do. However, I think my fascination with the birds stems from a mutual understanding. Both the ravens and I seem to comprehend how judgemental and cruel people can be, based on assumptions and appearances. However, ravens are able to scare their foes away by cawing loudly. If this fails, then they can fly away from their enemies to safer places. In my case, when trouble arises, I'm silent and grounded, with no caw or wings to help me.

For that reason, I envy ravens. Being alienated from others is one thing. but being forced to recongize one's displacement and feel rejected from the general public is another. Ravens can have each other as company, and fly wherever they please in flocks. I, on the other hand, am forced to watch others chatter in their own closely-knit groups of like-minded individuals. I sometimes can manage to hold a short conversation with a passerby, or listen to a conversation from the outskirts of a lunchtable. However, I have no flock. I am regarded as "that quiet girl", "the one in the back", or sometimes "the loner".

Sometimes, I wonder if people know my name is Valerie. To be fair, if it weren't for the teacher's morning roll call, I'd forget my name too. Slipping under the radar is my specialty it seems. Loneliness hurts, but I know it's safer than letting others toy with your emotions. Maybe social invisibility is best for survival. Or at least until I find other ravens to flock to.

This is a chapter (if you can call it that) of a concept I'm thinking of writing about. I want to write a story from the perspective of a very mature young teen  (around 13 or 14) named Valerie. It would be about her struggles in life and philosophies.