The Tragic Day | Teen Ink

The Tragic Day

By AnushLoveee17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
AnushLoveee17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

sometimes you have to forget whats gone appreciate what still remains and look forward to whats coming next

It was usually Tuesday morning Lafayette took that day off since his wife was leaving to Los Angeles for an interview.

“Skyler! Why aren’t you ready yet! God I wonder how your mother is so fast with you. Hurry up put on your shoes” “Well mommy helps us me put on my dress and shoes daddy” she said. “You’re a big girl Skyler you need to do things on your own”

He told her with a caring voice. He thought to himself hopefully the 3 days will go by quick so that his wife Emma will return. At that time Emma was on the plane thinking of her family and hoping to be back soon to her husband and daughter. But at the same time she was excited about her interview because she waited for this interview the whole year. As the plane took off she saw the park she went with her family. Emma looked around the plane next her was an old lady reading a book across from her was a woman with a child  and in the front her was 5 young men with a beard. Meanwhile after dropping off Skyler at pre-k Lafayette came home turned on the TV to relax. He had fallen asleep while watching the television. An hour later he woke up not knowing what was going on he thought there was an action movie on TV since he saw smoke but when he listened closer to what they were saying he had found out two planes crashed into the Twin Towers in New York. The first thing that came to his mind of course was if his wife was safe but then he realized that she left to Los Angeles and not New York. Suddenly he heard his house phone ring, he heard his mother-in-law was screaming “Lafayette turn on the TV our Emma she’s dead” she panicked. “Susan relax, please it’s not Emma she was going to Los Angeles not New York” he told her calmly. “No. that is Flight 175 that is Emma’s plane it was hijacked.” She said crying. Lafayette hung up the phone turned up the volume and realized that his wife was dead.

This date was September 11.2001 it was known as the saddest day in history. He was pacing around the living room not knowing who to call or what to do. He grabs his cell phone and saw a message from his wife. He came down thinking she is okay but when he read the message he realized that she was saying “I love you please take good care of Skyler goodbye.”  Lafayette took a deep breath came down and called up his mother-in-law, “Susan could you please come over it very hard for me right now” he said in a weak voice.  She had agreed and in about 2o minutes she had come over. Lafayette hugged her and walked her to the living room. “How are you son I know it’s hard right now but trust me it’s hard for all of us” she talked to him sweetly. He told her how he felt and asked her to move in with him to help around with his daughter. That night Lafayette went to bed for the first time with a broken heart. At that moment he had heard a sweet voice. “Hun I know it’s hard but I’m here watching you” the voice said. Lafayette couldn’t understand what was happing and as he turned on the lights he had seen his beautiful wife once again. “Emma my love you’re here” she smiled and told him she will stay in his heart forever. As the years went by Skyler was growing up, Susan was helping and Lafayette was always safe knowing his wife lives in his heart.