My Family Is Weird | Teen Ink

My Family Is Weird

By Athena560 BRONZE, Ralston, Nebraska
Athena560 BRONZE, Ralston, Nebraska

I could hear mommy and daddy yelling in the kitchen and so I tried to block it out by covering my ears with my pillow. I hated it when they did this. It scared me.

The pillow wasn't working so I jumped out of my bed, grabbed my teddy bear, and left my room to go listen to them. As I got closer the noise got a lot louder and scarier. They were yelling all these words that they told me I wasn't allowed to say. I didn't know what they meant but I didn't like them using those words with each other.

"Mommy? Daddy? I can't sleep. Why are you yelling those things at each other?" They turned and looked at me. Daddy put a hand over his face and looked down while mommy walked towards me and whispered, "It's nothing, Ben. Don't worry. Come on. Let's go to bed." "But what about daddy?" Her face got red as she looked over at him and said loudly, "Your father has had enough sleep for my taste." Turning back to me, she said with a small smile, "Do you want me to tuck you in again?" I smiled and nodded and jumped into her arms. She giggled. I loved when my mommy giggled.

I looked at mommy as she tucked me into bed. She looked tired and sad. I didn't know why, though. She was laughing a few minutes ago. I thought she was happy. "Mommy, are you sad? You don't look happy."  She sighed. "I'm not sad. Just disappointed." I gasped and quickly could feel tears on my cheeks. Her eyes widened and she pulled me into a hug as she said, "Oh sweetie, I'm not disappointed in you. It's your father. He did something he wasn't supposed to do. You, however, are perfect. I would never be disappointed in you." I sniffled and asked, "Promise?" She nodded and stroked my hair. "I promise, Ben. Come on. Lie down and get some rest. I love you." She put me in bed and kissed my forehead then left the room. I thought I heard quiet voices outside in the hallway but then I fell asleep.

Dear Mrs. Stein,
I hope you like my short story. I don't really understand my family and maybe you can now that you know what happened last night. I know mommy is mad at daddy but I don't know why. She told me that we're moving and I'm so excited! She bought a house near a park, just for me! She didn't mention daddy, though. He left last night and he didn't come back in the morning. I still haven't seen him. Anyways thank you for reading my story! I worked hard to write it. And thank you for helping me spell words I didn't know. Bye!
Written by Ben Winters

Athena560 BRONZE, Ralston, Nebraska
thank u sooo much for saying such nice things! I'm glad you enjoyed my piece and I'm glad you got so emotional while reading it. Thank you again :)

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

As much as I hate this reality, I love how you chose to depict it. This is the truth of what really happens behinds closed doors, and teachers really do see an extraordinary level of secret truth in their work. Not to mention children. This story is completely heartbreaking, of course, but it's a treasure nonetheless. You've captured a special voice and in a unique format. "And thank you for helping me spell words I didn't know."-- almost really made me start crying. Kids are so innocent, and then the real world comes and mars them, irreperably so. You've shown something truly genuine and priceless in the way you've chosen to portray this story and its narrator.