The Decision | Teen Ink

The Decision

The next day, while Chuck is walking to school, he thinks about what he will do to Nelson. 
“Man, should I just punch him back?” But Chuck isn’t capable of a fight.  He is too scared get hurt, he’s a sensitive guy.  He knows if it leads to a fight, he will lose. “That would be so embarrassing!  If I tell him to stop bullying me and just tell him how Chuck Mason, a bullied ninth grader heads home to devise his plan to take revenge on his bully.
  “What should I do?”  He looks at the blank spaces of his room, thinking of any way to take revenge on his bully, Nelson Redenbacher.  Chuck is sick and tired of  Nelson bullying him.  He hates that he always picks on him.  “Why do I have to be so fat?  Why can’t I be like everyone else?  Skinny.”  Feeling depressed Chuck grabs a pint of his favorite ice cream, rainbow sherbet, and starts to stress eat.  Suddenly, Chuck realizes what he should do to Nelson.
  “Yeah, that will make him stop bullying me!  I should punch him back and call him fat!” Chuck wants to let Nelson know how much it feels to be made fun of. “But what if that isn’t the right thing to do?  What if we get into a fight?  Well, we’ll just see tomorrow when I see him.”
I feel, he’ll probably think that I’m weak!”  Chuck finally arrives at school, and goes to his locker.  Walking through the halls, people start to look at him. 
He could hear them whispering,  “Here comes the elephant.” This was a usual thing.  Chuck arrives at his locker and gets the materials for his first class.  He closes his locker, and finds that Nelson is next to him, waiting for the daily routine. 
“What should I do?” Chuck says to himself.  “Hey Nelson,” Chuck says nervously.
“Are you here for the usual beating today?” Nelson was planning to punch Chuck that second.  Chuck was about to stop Nelson, but he was too scared to punch him.  Nelson hit him in the arm, and shouted, “Weak!” and walked away.  The bell rings, and the halls become filled with students going to class.  Disappointed, Chuck walks to his first class, history.  He looks around the room to find an empty seat.  Once again, people start whispering while he is walking through the aisles, barely fitting through them.  He finds an empty seat, sits down, and waits silently until class starts.  The bell rings, and everyone settles down.  Chuck couldn’t concentrate on his work.  He keeps thinking about Nelson.
“Should I still punch him?”  The class seemed to fly by and eventually, the bell rang.  It was  now recess time, and Chuck knew that this was the right time to confront Nelson.
Chuck goes to his locker to get his other materials.  He walks out of the hallways and goes towards his usual spot, a wooden bench, where he sits alone.  He eats a sandwich that his mom packed him.  While eating, he reads his book, Wonder, by R.J. Palacio.  It’s about a boy named August, who has an abnormality and is being sent to a public school.  He begins to dislike public school because he was getting bullied.  Chuck really likes this book because he notices that he is just like August.  People think August is weird and not cool.
“I’m just like him.  That’s cool,” Chuck says to himself. Chuck knows that he’s an ordinary kid, just like August was.  But ordinary kids don’t seem to see that Chuck is an ordinary person.  He’s a fat kid, who’s lonely and weird.
Chuck was very captivated into his book when out of no where, Nelson knocks out the book out of his hands.
“What you reading Chuck, some girl book?” sneers Nelson.  Chuck snaps.
“I can’t take it anymore!  Why do you keep messing with me, huh?  Always calling me fat!”  Without even thinking, Chuck punches Nelson with all his strength.  Nelson jerks backward due to Chuck’s punch.  Everyone around them stops what they’re doing, and watch with shock.  Nelson walks slowly up to Chuck, touching his red cheek that Chuck punched.
Nelson whispers to Chuck, “That hurt a lot man,” and he punches Chuck in the stomach.  The people around them have come closer and create a circle. 
They start chanting, “Fight! Fight!  Fight!”  Nelson attempts to punch Chuck again, when a yard supervisor comes along and stops the whole thing. 
“Break it up!  Break it up!” he shouts.  He grabs them both by the arm, and they walk towards the principal’s office. 
They sit in the principal’s office and the boys wait silently for their consequence.  The yard supervisor tells the principal what Chuck and Nelson had done.  The yard supervisor then exits the room, and the principal talks to the boys. 
“So why did you guys do it?” he asked. 
Nelson responds, “Chuck punched me first, and it hurt a lot, so I punched him back.” 
Chuck says, “I was reading my book during recess, and Nelson comes out of no where and knocks my book to the floor!  Nelson has been bullying me for quite a while now and I just snapped.  I’m sorry Nelson.” 
“Well I guess you guys should apologize to one another then,” says the principal. 
“I’m really sorry Nelson, for everything.  I should’ve just told you how I felt about you bullying me.  It really hurt me.  I am already fed up with people looking at me and whispering things about me when I walk pass by them.  I don’t want another person doing these things to me.  I’m sorry Nelson.” 
“Hey it’s okay, really.  But you don’t need to apologize.  I should be the one who should, since I bullied you.  I’m sorry Chuck, for all the times I insulted you and punched you. When I was in elementary, I was bullied a lot too.  People always called me popcorn man because of my last name.  I was also fat, which I hated, and shy.  So when I got older, I decided to lose weight.  But I was still secretly insecure.  I bullied you so I could see how it was like to be a bully because it seemed fun for the kids who bullied me.  Before I thought it would be cool, but now I know that it’s just mean.  I’m really, really sorry about everything Chuck.”
“It’s cool man,” replied Chuck.
The principal was really proud of what Chuck and Nelson had just done.  But he decided that the boys must have a punishment for fighting in the schoolyard.  The punishment was to sweep and collect all the trash in the schoolyard during recess and lunch for one week. 
A few weeks has passed, and Chuck and Nelson have become great friends.  They are now going around the school and making sure that no one is being bullied.  It turns out that the boys have much in common.  They both like listening to the same music and both like the same food.  This will be a great friendship that will last for a long time.  Bullying is a serious situation that happens all over the world.  It can affect anyone.  It is one topic that should not be done for any reason.