White Lies | Teen Ink

White Lies

By Juggler98 GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Juggler98 GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

Ring ring.

“Hello?” I don’t feel like talking.

“Hey! How are you?”

“I’m fine.”  I’m awful. “And you?”

“Great! I was just calling to remind you about the benefit tomorrow at eight.”

“How could I forget?” I forgot. “I wouldn’t miss it!” I want to stay home.

“Oh, did you catch the news last night? I was out with my friends and I missed it.”

“I saw it.” I wish I had had another day of ignorance.

“Oh good, what does the weather look like tomorrow?”

“Sunny and warm. It’s going to be a great day!” Tomorrow will be awful.

“Awesome, you wanna come to the beach with me? We could get ready for the benefit together.”

“No thanks, I’ve already got plans.” My schedule is empty.

“Too bad! I don’t know what it is, but whenever I call you, my day just gets better. You’re always so happy, Happy.”

She laughs at the joke like she hasn’t heard it a thousand times before and quickly wraps up the conversation. She ends the call and places her phone in her pocket before opening the car door. She starts to sweat immediately as the hot sun glares disapprovingly at her black dress. A blast of cool meets her as she opens the heavy door and walks into the air conditioning.

The casket is not open. The disfigurement of the corpse would be too awful for the mourners. Happy walks up to it and touches the soft wood. Tears flow. She bites her lip as someone touches her on the shoulder. She turns to see a vaguely familiar face.

“How are you holding up?” the kind woman asks gently.

“I’ll be okay.” He was my best friend; I’ll never be okay again.

“I just don’t understand how this could have happened to him. He was always so careful, and it’s not like he would ever drink and drive. Or drink at all for that matter. I guess it will always be a mystery.” Happy suddenly recognizes the woman as the dead man’s mother. “You’ve never…” she begins hesitantly. “Seen him…drinking? Have you?”

“Never.”