Loves End | Teen Ink

Loves End

May 28, 2015
By Tyra18 BRONZE, Rockland, Maine
Tyra18 BRONZE, Rockland, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I walk into the cafe I'm supposed to meet him in. Him with his dark hair and light eyes, his favorite hoodie sweatshirt on and those blue jeans that he had on the night we stood under the stars. He doesn't look up as I walk through the door, making me a little upset but a little happy that I get to watch him as he sits staring at something far away in the floor. He has a habit of doing that, spacing out like he's an astronaut in a whole different world that no one else can see, not even me. As I sit down it breaks his silence and looks up at me, smiles lightly and looks back down at the nothingness. I wonder what he must be thinking of, as I like to do. I ponder at it for a minute and then just ask " What's wrong?". He looks shocked as the words come out but he takes a breath and let's it out like an old steam train. After a pause he looks at me directly in the eye and I await a big blow but all he simply says is " Nothing, It's been a long day". I sigh in my head and reply with a simple "oh".

The waiter comes to set my drink on the table, my latte as usual. I ask if he got anything, he shakes his head and says he doesn't want anything. We sit, not speaking of what is on our minds. Even with the little snow on the ground, the winter is over, spring is on its way and the time between us is over. Time for flowers to bloom and him to move on to the warmness of Indiana and his old life. Time for me to stay here on the coast where I've never left. I've only taken a sip of my latte when I see him rise from his seat and walk out the door. I watch him for a moment and then I get up myself and follow wondering what he's doing and why he's taking it so hard.

As we walk, him in front of me walking fast, I see people looking, watching as I speed walk behind to catch up. Finally at the end of the street where the walkway becomes less crowded he stops out of nowhere. Making me almost run straight into him but I stop quickly two inches from his face. As I do I notice the surroundings. The people with their heads down, walking blatantly past, the children walking with their mother or father holding their hand as if they let go for one second they might lose everything. This is how I felt on the inside, like if he said what he wanted and I agreed, my whole world would come crashing down around me in a moment. And in that moment, I knew. The blow was coming and neither one of us could help it.

I looked back at him standing in front of me with sad eyes and his hands at his sides with a straight face he said it. "I'm leaving and there is nothing you or I can do to change that. You have to except it and so don't I, okay!?". He paused and looked at the ground in a voice almost too low he spoke again " It's over." And that was all. He walked away and left me standing there with a single tear Andy a feeling I wasn't sure of. Sadness? Anger? I wasn't sure but I wasn't standing there to figure it out. I turned and walked home. That was the last I ever saw him.


The author's comments:

This was originally an assignment from my English teacher.
After reading my work all year she told me I should share more pieces. This is the first of my writing I've ever shared. I hope you all like it.