Lonely Texas | Teen Ink

Lonely Texas

May 8, 2015
By Royal_Rayol BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
Royal_Rayol BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Texas was my home. My life. But now it is only a stepping stone into my life. I was surrounded by people that I loved. My life was amazing, I had a roof over my head and food on my plate and a family who was always by my side. I would sit outside and I would smile at the beauty that surrounded me. My Grandpa would tell me to be grateful for my life you will only get to live it once. The birds would sing a beautiful song day and night. I would sit around and just listen to them. Sometimes they would sing me to sleep. Once I feel asleep to the sounds of the birds singing and the smell of my Grandma’s cooking. I woke up to the smell of smoke and the sounds of screams. I ran out of my room. I looked for my Grandparents but they were nowhere to be found. I ran outside and I saw my Grandma hunched over a body. I didn't know who it was. I didn't want to know who it was. But I kept getting closer. I realized who it was, with tears running down my face. I was only 12. I lost the most important person in my life. My Grandpa. I understood what my Grandpa had told me as we laid him in the ground. But I was not grateful, I was lost and confused, because he was gone. I had to handle life as if it never happened. But when I visit the spot where the birds would sing me to sleep, I don’t hear it the same way. All I hear are the birds mocking me, screaming in the same tone as he did. There was nothing that I could have done. Texas why did you have to be so lonely?