Anything For You | Teen Ink

Anything For You

By Kaitlincutie GOLD, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Kaitlincutie GOLD, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Whether you think you can or can't, you're right

“Tag! Your it!” As I ran away as fast as my five year old legs could carry me. “Get back here!” my best friend yelled playfully. She could never be quiet, but it was her an I loved it. As I ran, I hid in the tree, praying she would never find me. “FOUND YOU!” she shouted. Squeak in her voice. “Can’t tag me!” I’d say with a smile. She pouted, and walked off. “HEY! YOU NEED TO TAG ME!” I said sort of sad. “NO, YOU CHEAT” she said angrily. I sadly, climbed down from the tree. I walked over to her and said she can tag me. She looked at me from the corner of her eyes. “TAG!” she shouted happily. As she ran, I laughed and walked for a bit. Frankly, my leg hurt a little bit from climbing the tree. As I started to run, I saw her go to hide. I walked, and let her stay hidden for a bit, before I wanted to tag her. “Where ar-e you….” I said with a smile. I heard a soft giggle. Then, I ran to tag her. I touched her hair and said I tagged her. “Not uh!” She said with attitude. “Yeah uh!” I said back with sass. I got flustered, and walked away. I saw her sit down on the bench. Mad.

As I went to get a drink, I heard a car door. A light blue car, with flames crawling up the sides. I continued to my drink. About a minute later, I heard a shriek. It lasted for only about twenty seconds. As I quickly looked back over to my friend, she wasn’t their. Just then, I saw a man, carrying something. I looked closer, and noticed it was my friend. My friend has been squirming, trying to break free. I then shouted t’wards the man. Looking over at me, he gave me a devil-ish smile. Starting to run t’wards his car. “HEY!” I shouted as loud as possible. My friend had gotten free, and started running. I shouted to her to follow me. As she started running, I ran too. T’wards the field, where we could get to my house quickly. I ran up until the sidewalk. Then, I turned around. Expecting to see my best friend behind me. Only to see the man. Running to me, with my friend in his arms. He got closer, I ran. Faster than I have ever ran before. He finally stopped chasing me, and ran quickly to the car. My friend got loose again. The worst mistake of her life. As she ran t’wards me again, the man shot her. As my jaw dropped, my eyes filled with tears. I fell to the cement. He walked over to me. I quickly grabbed my friend, trying to wake her up. Not getting up, I used all of my strength to carry her.

He got closer, closer. Luckily, I lived on a busy street. So getting help wasn’t very difficult. I shouted to the top of my lungs. “HELP! HELP! THIS MAN IS TRYING TO GET ME!” I said in a frantic. Very winded. He was almost right there. Then, a police officer came by. I tried to explain to him about the man. Just then, the man came and stood next to me. “I’m sorry. My daughter has some “special” problems. Rest assured, everything is okay” he said. As I stared at him, he gave me the scary smile. The officer left. Just then, he pulled out his gun, I ended up dodging it, and switching directions. So, he shot himself in the head. Wiping my hand over my face, removing the sweat. Then, I stared down at my friend. Blood covered my shirt. I looked at her stomach (where she had been shot). Tears escaped my eyes, and landed on her cheek. Noticing she was gone, I cried harder. Laying on her chest, I cried for hours. A small beat was in my head. As I listened, I thought I heard a heartbeat. I had pushed frantically on her chest.

Shouting for someone, anyone. Just then, a lady came flying out her door. “-help me” I said with my eyes red, blood on my face. The lady then, called 9-1-1, and gave C.P.R. About four minutes later, a fire truck, four police cars, one squad car, and an ambulance came. Granting me permission to come to the hospital, they checked me over for anything being wrong with me. As we arrived at the hospital, my friend was hooked up to a machine. I sat next to her. Quiet as a mouse. About ten hours later, I heard a whisper. As I leaned in, I made out the words “Thank you” said my friend, as softly as she’s ever spoken before. I held her hand “Anytime” I said with a smile. As we both smiled, I whispered to her “I’ll never say goodbye, because I will never let you go”. She smiled, and closed her eyes. My friend healed over time. Experiencing what I did, at my age. Doctors say I was brave. Parents say I was unbelievably tough. I say, I would do that again, if it meant another day with my best friend.