White | Teen Ink

White

April 15, 2015
By autumn.chais BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
autumn.chais BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It’s funny how time works. In class the second hand on the clock seems to take a minute just to tick, and the time it takes to get around all 12 numbers is unbearably slow. When with friends or while engaging yourself in an activity that you enjoy, that minute hand seems to be going faster than the second hand, as if both are in some sort of race. This phenomenon has always perplexed me, and as I lay here listening to the second hand tick at a normal speed, I can’t help but realize, that I’m completely okay with what is going to happen. The cool breeze is blowing in from my open window, pushing the bleached and probably white curtains outward and allowing some more sunlight to spew in. I can feel the warmth hit my blanket, and I can tell the curtains are blowing because I can’t hear them hitting the wall anymore. Despite the fact that this room smells like laundry detergent, I am rather content. I am in no pain. I am happy.
I wish I could turn on a television, or even have headphones in my ears. Instead I am forced to listen to the pumping of the life support to my right side, and the ticking of a clock. Lovely. I have taken many classes of useless information over my course  of 40 years, unfortunately enough, none of them have taught me how to die. Then again, part of the problem may be somewhat connected to the fact that this thing is breathing for me. I keep forgetting its there. Its been 29 days that I’ve been laying here dormant and nothing seems surreal anymore.
Are those footsteps I hear? Yeah, probably. It’s the clicking clacking of heels, so I know it has to be my wife. Who else would wear heels in the ICU? There it is, the creaking of the door.
“Hey honey, how are you doing?” her question rings in my ears. I never knew how joyous it felt to answer such a simple question. Now that I am unable to do so, I miss it so much. I feel her hand rest gently on my shoulder. Ever so gently. As if she was afraid she would hurt me. I feel a warm drop on my arm that is not covered with the bleached blanket. Then another. Her soft  whimpers break my heart as I hear her drop to her knees and lay her head on my arm.
“Why’d you have to do this? Why’d do you have to leave me?” she whispered. Listen here b****, this was not my fault. That jerk cut me off at the merge and I had to go get vengeance. I knew not wearing a helmet on my motorcycle was risky, I just didn’t think I would land head first on the concrete. So this is not my fault, please don’t even say that. I never wanted to leave you. The door just opened again. I feel my wife jump up from her previously kneeled position and greet the doctor.
“I’m sorry Mrs.Crater. But it’s been 30 days, and there have been no medical signs of improvement. It’s time to let him go.”
You incompetent piece of filth, its been 29 days thank you very much. Come on babe, speak up for me, I have one more day for me to open my eyes.
“Can I have just one more hour, please? Can he hear me?”
One more hour! Really darlin’? I still have 24 hours before he can legally pull the plug.
“No, I’m sorry but he is gone. No vision, no hearing, and no sense of feeling. Have a nurse come get me when you’re ready for this to happen.” I hear his footsteps exit the room and close the screechy door behind him.
“I was really hoping you would pull out of this my love. You know you mean the world to me. But there has been something bothering me for quite some time now. I suppose now is as good time as any to get it off of my chest before you’re gone and I can never tell you.” If I wasn’t connected to this machine, I would hold my breath. I can hear her inhale and exhale deeply.
“I’ve been sleeping with your brother for the past 3 years.” What the f*** is she talking about? That can’t be true! That really can’t be true. For once in the story, before I was in my accident, I was able to tell the one woman I love how I truly felt about her, and her last words to me are ones full of guilt and trying to clear her conscious. That’s not fair. That is just not fair.
“I didn’t know how to tell you when you were here. It was just too hard. I’m really sorry for what I did. But if we’re being honest you weren’t the best husband. Now if you’ll excuse me, I am going to go get the doctor to finally do this thing.” The sound of her heels exited the room. B**** I have 1 more day what are you doing. I listened to the sound of the second hand tick 480 times. I can hear the door open to my right and the sounds of 3 different sets of footsteps walk in, one of my wife’s, one of my doctors, and one that I have never heard before.
“Once I turn off this switch, this process could take minutes, or it could take hours. So be prepared.” The doctor’s voice sounds rehearsed and unamused. No sympathy. Doctor’s are robots. Whatever Shonda Rhimes depicted as doctor’s on Grey’s Anatomy, is incredibly inaccurate, if I could, I would go on a diatribe right now.
“We understand.” This voice is musky and deep. One I’ve been living up to my entire life. My brother. Really. It wasn’t enough to sleep with my wife, you had to show it off on my death bed. Ever since our falling out several months ago, I told you I wanted you out of my life. They’re probably holding hands right now. Or his arm is around her, protecting her from the emotional abuse that she is about to subject herself to. Bull****. If I were alive right now, I would kick them both out of here. Let me go in peace. I feel the touch of two hands on my legs. One familiar and soft, while the other rough and large. Really guys? I’m about to be removed from life support, and you think the feeling of two hands on my legs will make it all better? Imbeciles. My life has been filled by imbeciles. Probably my only regret.
  I hear the doctor flick a violent switch and I feel the force which was lifting my chest up and down remove pressure. My chest is not moving as quickly and its not that it hurts to do, it’s just so strenuous. I count the second hand to 480 about 6 times, and I’ve never wanted to be hooked up to a machine ever so badly. Wait a minute! Are those the curtains I see! The bedspread I’ve been forced to lay upon..it’s white! Everything in this room is white!


The author's comments:

I was playing around with different types of writing, so this style is something I have never tried before but have always wanted to attempt!