My Spot | Teen Ink

My Spot

By Ashton Daniel BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Ashton Daniel BRONZE, Cupertino, California

My Spot
Well there I was, as usual, sitting on my spot. It was the perfect spot. It was a small cliff on the mountain, the same mountain my house was perched on. It was the only mountain in a whole county of flat land. I loved it. I can’t imagine my life without my spot. It was where I came to think about life. Sometimes my thoughts wander like a gentle breeze. At other times, my thoughts rage like the angry wind.

I remember the first day that Tommy and I discovered this spot. We were doing our favorite activity, playing catch. We were hiking up the mountain on a trail, when suddenly we realized we were lost. We wandered for hours when I saw it, my spot. On that day my spot looked like heaven. The sun hit it at a perfect angle, making all of the blades of grass sparkle. There was a view of the countryside that seemed like it had no end. Tommy and I took a few moments and gazed in awe. We stumbled over to the the edge and dropped down, exhausted. After many moments of contented silence, I started to think about how we were going to get back. I could see the chimney of my house through  the tree tops in the distance. Tommy and I took a few more moments to admire the world from my spot but then we had to leave. I almost wanted to sit there forever but I knew It was time to return. I knew then that this wouldn’t be the last time I visited the spot. Over the years, I escaped to my spot whenever I could. The view never ceased to take my breath away. The stillness of my spot always calmed my raging thoughts. My spot became a second home to me.

This time I sat at my spot as I always did but my heart was filled with sadness. My usual feeling of awe had deserted me. My friend Tommy Jr. had left me to be alone in  this big world. I remember when I used to run down the paths in the cliff with Tommy Jr. Tommy was my best friend. He was my only friend. He could read my thoughts as if he had telepathic powers. He knew when I was happy or sad.He always shared my thrills and spills. He was always there when I needed to expend energy. He offered me endless solace when I just needed to hug somebody. Oh, how I loved little Tommy. He left me with precious memories which come rushing back to sadden me. Slowly the magic of my spot started working in me. I sense of calm came over me. Pets, especially dogs, give so much and expect so little in return. I decided to live my life like Tommy.