My Best Friend Scarlet | Teen Ink

My Best Friend Scarlet

By cecebrowne BRONZE, Norton, Massachusetts
cecebrowne BRONZE, Norton, Massachusetts

“You can never lock me up!” I scream as the security guards are dragging me down the hallway leaving the court room. “I am not guilty! I didn't do it! I was tricked! Bamboozled! Scarlet told me to do it! Lock her up! Did you not see her in the corner of the room giggling at me!?” Struggling to get out of the guards arms I kick and flail but they are so much stronger than me, I’m just a tiny 18 year old girl there is no way I’ll be able to free myself. Next thing I know I’m thrown back into a dark car that is going to drive me back into the mental hospital my parents put me in. I don’t belong there either. I don’t belong at home, I don’t belong in that hospital, and I most definitely do not belong in a jail cell. It’s Scarlet. Scarlet belongs in jail for her wrong doing.

I stumble slowly into the hospital being greeted by my only friend in there. “Hi Clara! How was the trial!?” I mumble “Not now Audrey, I’m not in the mood.” Audrey sprints in front of me and stops me in my tracks. “C’mon Clara you know you can talk to me about anything.” I turn away from her because I know tears are about to come streaming down my face due to how frustrated I am. Audrey’s grin turns quickly into a frown and she whispers “Okay. I understand. No one ever wants to talk to someone who’s in here for being considered a psychopathic liar.”

I storm back to my room. I’m so upset I don’t even feel a little bad for being so mean to Audrey. She can just be so annoying. I know she can’t help it though. Her parents neglected her as a child and her uncle raped her. She got sent to this hospital because when she tried telling people she got raped they did not believe her so they put her in here for being mentally insane. They old told her it was just her vivid imagination. I know what it’s like for your parents not to believe you though. I am here for the same reason.

A few months ago I killed someone. Well actually I didn't. Scarlet did. Everyone tries to tell me that Scarlet is just an imagination. No one has not actually ever met her, but I know she is there. She’s always with me. I think she is just good at playing hide and seek that’s all. Scarlet killed my younger brother. He was at the table one morning eating his cereal and she went up behind him and started stabbing him in the back repetitively. The second she heard my mom walking down the stairs she ran over and put the knife in my hand so she would not get caught. I tried telling my mom that it wasn't me that it was Scarlet. Furious however she started screaming at me. She yelled “Clara you are 18 years old now. Scarlet isn't real. How could you do this to your brother? Get out of here leave now! I’ll call the cops on you and have them find you later. You are never wanted back here ever again” At the time I was too scared to even argue with my mother. I ran out the door and kept running until I couldn't breathe anymore. I didn't even realize that I still had the knife in my hand and blood drenched my clothes. It was too late, I couldn't hide the evidence I could hear the cop cars whipping around the street bend. I walked out to them knife in hand and they threw me into the back of the car. I sat in silence. That’s’ why I’m here now.

I heard a knock on my door I knew exactly who it was. “Come in Audrey.” Audrey walked in and apologized “I’m sorry for upsetting you Clara, I really am I didn't mean to do that!” I managed to put on a smile “it’s okay Aud, sit down.” Audrey smiles when she realizes I’m not mad at her anymore and lets out a high pitched screech and hugs me. I sigh and say “Okay Audrey okay I get it. You know I’m not a hugger” She jumps off me and says “I’m sorry I thought I lost my best friend” I suddenly get a huge smile on my face and think to myself. Best friend. I've never heard those two words put next to each other when someone is talking about me. I guess you could say my only best friend when growing up was Scarlet. I’m not even mad at Scarlet I can’t be. She’s always with me and I can’t stay mad at her forever. Realizing I am in a day dream I snap back and answer Audrey. I mumble “Awh Aud, you’re the best I don’t know what I would do without you.” I tell Audrey what happened in my trial and how my parents were there but they did not say a word to me. They didn't even look at me. I made eye contact with my little sister. My dead little brother’s twin. She had tears running down her face but her sobs were silent. The judge told me I might be able to plead not guilty due to insanity. I wasn't upset about being accused for killing my brother anymore. I was upset because they thought there was something mentally wrong with me. I didn't want to end up like Audrey. I love her to death but there is no way I could stay in this place with her forever.

I start ranting to Audrey, pacing back and forth yelling "me!? Crazy!? They're the crazy ones!" Audrey tried calming me down telling me she understands how I feel. I know she does but I don't want to listen to her right now I'm too annoyed. I then begin to tell her how I have to start getting tested for this thing called "schizophrenia". I can't even spell that never mind know what it is there is no way in the world I have that. Not wanting to make me mad Audrey mumbles "I don't know Clara. You talk about this Scarlet girl a lot and I've never even met her." I look at her dazed.  I ask "what do you mean you've never met her? You're literally sitting next to her right now. Maybe you do belong in here." Audrey gets mad at me for saying that and storms out. I don't blame her though it was uncalled for.

The next day I get escorted to the testing room with Scarlet by my side. They hooked all these long wires and weird white suction cups up to my head. I didn't really have to do anything just sit there and be quiet while all the doctors stare at a computer screen. After two and a half hours of doing nothing they told me they had the results. They all seemed uneasy though and afraid to tell me. What was their problem there is nothing wrong with me? A woman takes me into a separate room and tells me that I have schizophrenia. I'm so furious I start kicking chairs and punching walls. Another larger male nurse and injects me with a shot that makes me pass out.

I wake up later in my bed dazed and confused and at the foot of my bed I see Scarlet sitting there waiting for me to wake up. I ask her "Scarlet you're real they can't tell me you're not. They are the crazy ones." Scarlet grins and says "You're next Clara." I was confused but the next thing I know I can't breathe anymore life is slowly slipping away from me. I realize Scarlet isn't real. In my hand I see an empty pill bottle and I know what I've done.