The Death Stone | Teen Ink

The Death Stone

February 16, 2015
By Daliaaaaaa___ BRONZE, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Daliaaaaaa___ BRONZE, Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up, Great things take time.


The Death Stone
It was a very warm but pleasant day in July around the 1900s, 13 year old Christian was stuck inside with his 10 year old sister Sophie.The reason they were stuck inside was because his grandmother had came to visit. He wanted to go outdoors and explore to see what he might find or do. Christian had always been a curious young boy, just like Sophie now that she was older, but there mother did not allow them to leave.
“How about we sneak out?” exclaimed Christian with a smirk. Sophie had no choice unless she wanted to be stuck in that boring old house. As they headed downstairs to go to the door their grandmother comes and says “Where are you two headed for?”
“Oh we’re just going to the living room to play” both replied.
“I know you two very well, be safe.” Said their grandma while shaking her head but smiling. They both kissed her wrinkly old cheek and ran out the front door.
They had been walking for about 15 minutes when Sophie pointed out a small river hidden between the tall narrow trees. As they headed there, Christian and Sophie gathered many stones to skip across the water.
“I wonder why this river is so hidden, it’s beautiful” exclaimed Sophie while gazing all around.

Ruelas 2
They threw stone after stone and all of a sudden one came shooting back. Both Christian and Sophie were terrified but it wasn’t till Christian bent down to grab the stone and read it that a shiver went down his spine. Sophie took the stone and read P.I.P but when Christian grabbed the stone he realized it said R.I.P.
As Christian was holding the stone he wished to never see it again, and threw it with all his strength into the river.
“Let’s go home now…” suggested Christian while grabbing Sophies arm. As they were heading home Sophie tripped and fell on a small rock. Christian reached down to help his younger sister and as he went down he observed the carving on the stone, R.I.P. realizing the stone was back. He quickly helped Sophie up. Christian tried ignoring the fact that it was the same small rock that had came back to them by the river and kept walking.
It wasn’t such a long walk, soon they arrived home. Sophie was exhausted from the short yet tiring walk in the blazing sun, so she headed up stairs. Christian headed over to his grandmothers room.
“Hey grandma” Christian whispered “have you ever been to the river that’s close to here?”
“River?” Asked their Grandma with worries in her voice.
“Yes, the small river that’s about 5 blocks from here and” Christian replied. His grandmother cut him off while he was going to finish the sentence
“Don’t tell me you two kids went there?” whispered their grandmother “that place is cursed, if you skip stones it’s said they return and kill the ones you love the most.”
Christian shed a tear thinking about Sophie.
Ruelas 3
Sophie was the person he loved the most, she was the only one always there for him. Christian rushed upstairs to Sophie’s room before his grandmother said another word. He opened the door only to find his sister sound asleep on the bed. He went up to her, his heart beating faster than normal and listened to hear her breathing. Christian went to his room and fell asleep.
The next couple of week nothing occurred. Christian and Sophie didn’t even remember the old stone.
“Let’s go to our river!” exclaimed Sophie with a big inflatable beach ball in her hands. Christian agreed and off to the river they went. Halfway there Christian started remembering the stone with the carving on it and the old curse. Christian suggested they go back but Sophie neglected.
“We’re almost there Christian, I can see the trees covering the river.” said Sophie. Christian didn’t want to annoy his younger sister with the walk so he decided to stay. Sophie passed the ball to Christian and from there they started to play. Time got to them and soon they realized the sun was setting.
“One more toss?” said Sophie with an excited tone.
"It's dark Sophie, I can barely see you!" Christian said with a worried voice.
Christian tossed the ball anyways and as Sophie stepped back to get the ball she struggled to maintain her balance.
“SOPHIE!” yelled Christian as he ran towards her. It was too late Sophie fell into the rushing river.
“SWIM TOWARDS ME!” Yelled Christian. The current was stronger than Sophies little arms could handle. Sophie was being pushed back, there were giant rocks blocking some paths
Ruelas 4
though. She didn't realize that she could hold on to one because she was facing Christian. A loud thump is all Christian heard. Sophie injured her skull and soon she wasn’t responding.
Four years went by and Christian still couldn't bear with the pain. He knew it was all his fault for sneaking out that day. His family knew it wasn't his fault but Christian felt it was. Every day he would go to the river and gather stones all the way from home just hoping to find that stone. The stone that caused all of what occurred.
"Sophie would still be here." Whispered Christian "if it wasn't for that... Death stone."