Writings of a Chocolate Addict | Teen Ink

Writings of a Chocolate Addict

By Maya_M SILVER, Edison, New Jersey
Maya_M SILVER, Edison, New Jersey

The following is an absolutely true account of the heartbreaking and profound journey of a girl who was forced to spend a week in a barren environment with no sustenance whatsoever.
Day 1
Supplies are low.  Unfortunately, I was careless when I made my plan for distributing my rations throughout the week. I now have none left.
           Talking about it is only making me sick with longing, so I shall attempt to describe the godforsaken place in which I am now forced to reside. It is a large area, but I have managed to familiarize myself with its layout; it has a myriad of nooks and crannies and multiple artifacts of dubious origins.  In fact, I just recently discovered a small cavern with multiple identical artifacts; all of them consisted of a triangle with a sort of hook at the top, and they seemed to be purposefully hanging from the cavern’s roof—with what intent, I wonder?
I decided to pick up a few of these artifacts to use as weapons in case I would need them.  This proved to be an excellent decision on my part, for I soon came across a ferocious, fur-covered beast as I explored more.  It jumped at me and roared menacingly, at which point I brandished my weapon at it.  It cowered away after a while.  Victory!
           This is all for now; I simply cannot concentrate on my discoveries when my imminent survival is at risk.
Day 2
           I discovered another curious grotto today.  When I attempted to explore it, however, I found myself repulsed by a shock of cold air that emanated from it.  Putting all reservations aside, I dove in with the hope that I would be able to forage for something to eat. There were multiple plants in the cavern (though in forms I had never seen before—certainly not the organic forms I can see in a field or in a garden) and even parts of animals!  Nothing edible, though.
Day 3
        I attempted to contact my family today.  The communication was faulty, though – almost as if we were speaking two different languages.  I tried to explain that I was in need of nourishment, but all I could make out in response was a whole lot of gibberish and a sort of angry tone.  I don’t think they really understood me.
           I did make out one thing, though.  I distinctly heard my mother yelling, “Not a chance!”  I wonder what that was supposed to mean.
Day 4
        All hope is lost.  There are no edibles to be found.  This is the end.
           Still, I cannot help but feel that this is my fault.  Am I to blame for my own trials and tribulations?  It it because I refused to wash the dishes the other day?  Maybe it is because put a spider in my father’s bed (though he definitely had it coming).
Day 5
        Food at last!  My family finally brought much-needed rations!  If I plan well, I’m sure these will last me a whole month!  The way they went about it was awfully curious, though.
MOTHER: Here!  I did groceries!  The chocolate’s in that bag!
ME: Food!  At last!  Oh, I was so worried, I didn’t even know where you were…
MOTHER: What?
ME: Don’t you remember?  I tried to contact you!
MOTHER: You yelled at me to get you chocolate?
ME: What?  Anyway, I’ve been in this godforsaken place for ages now…
MOTHER: This is our house!
ME: …and I had nothing to eat…
MOTHER: We gave you food!  You just wanted chocolate!
ME: …and I was just exploring, and I found these amazing artifacts that look like triangles with hooks…
MOTHER: This is why your clothes stay on the floor.
ME:..incredibly lucky, really, because it came in handy as a weapon when I came across this beast…
MOTHER: You brandished a hanger at our dog?!
ME: …and I found this cold grotto with nothing edible in it…
At this point, my mother sent me to my private chambers, to which I took a few rations.  She didn’t seem to understand me at all.  Perhaps I am slightly delirious from the prolonged starvation?
           Ah, well.  This ends my account.  No longer do I have to fight to survive.
Day 6
THERE’S NOTHING TO EAT.  IT’S ALL GONE.

aditya said...
on Mar. 5 2015 at 3:23 am
Great reading

Debjit said...
on Mar. 5 2015 at 3:21 am
Great article .gripping like a suspense story with a fabulous ending

Madhavi said...
on Mar. 2 2015 at 3:52 am
She has an excellent command over the language and writes very well.

Serendipity said...
Enjoyed this very much!

Serendipity said...
Loved this!

archana said...
Great work