Consequential Decisions | Teen Ink

Consequential Decisions

By Angel Lee BRONZE, San Diego, California
Angel Lee BRONZE, San Diego, California

The bell rang and kids came out the classrooms like rodents, it was finally Friday. I went to my locker to get all the things that I needed to take home. I heard footsteps behind my locker I closed it gently to see who it was behind it.

“Hey Lisa, you going to the party tonight” Marisa said smiling.
“No I don’t think I can make it” I replied looking down at my feet.
“Come on, How about this you sneak out I’ll take my dad’s car and I’ll come by your house to pick you up, trust me we won’t get caught”
“Okay I’ll try”
“Alright I’ll be by your house at 9:00, see you later” she says walking away.
Why did I agree with this I knew my mom wasn’t going to let me go. Ever since my brother Jonathan went to that party when he was 16, he got shot. After that my mom doesn’t really trust me and my brother joseph to do anything by ourselves. It’s been tough for her these past few years, but I was still going to try to convince her to let me go, and if she says no I would still go, knowing it’s not the right thing to do but I couldn’t miss out on a Los Angeles party. When I got home I peaked in the driveway. No one was home.
“Yes!”
That made everything easier for me. I went to my room and found an outfit to wear for the night and laid it out on my bed. I grabbed a towel and ran into the bathroom as I heard the front door open, I knew it was my mom. I turned the shower on trying to avoid conversation. I got in and let the hot water run on my back, thinking about how I was going to ask her. I was getting kind of nervous thinking about what bad could happen but I feelt I was over thinking things. I turned off the shower and wrapped the towel around me. I opened the door and the steam came pouring out of the bathroom as the cool air hit my arms and legs making me shiver.
“Hey baby, how was your day?” my mom said smiling.
“It was good” I said smiling back.
“That’s good, but dinner will be ready in a few”
“Okay”
I walked to my room and looked at the clothes laid on my bed. I put on my pajamas and walked to the kitchen, I could smell the food my mom had prepared and I heard conversation.
“Hey Lisa” said my brother joseph.
“What’s up joseph?”
I grabbed a plate, and a little into dinner I asked about the party.
“Hey mom”
“Yeah”
“Um… can I go to this party tonight with Marisa” she looked confused.
“Um no. do you think I’m crazy enough to let you go by yourself after what happened to your brother”
She took a pause trying to hold back her tears.
“I let it happen to him and I’m not letting it happen to you”
“Mom, just because it happened to Jonathan doesn’t mean it will happen to me”
“The answer is no Lisa”
“Oh my gosh I hate you, you can’t just leave me and joseph trapped for the rest of our lives it’s not fair. You know sometimes its okay to trust people”
“Hey those are some strong words young lady watch your tone with me, and just know that I do it for your own safety because I love you!... but if you think your grown enough to make your own decisions then go. Don’t call for anything!”
I stormed out of the kitchen without saying a word feeling bad for what I said back there and putting so much pressure on her. But I took what she said as a yes, so I got ready and right at 9:05 I got a call from Marisa letting me know that she was outside. My brother came into my room and sat on my bed.
“Hey, what you said back there to mom wasn’t right. You should think about apologizing.”
“I know but, she doesn’t give us any freedom and I don’t think it’s fair we have to live through this”
“Yeah, I get what you’re saying… but be safe and I love you no matter what”
“I love you too joseph”
I followed him out my room and headed towards the door. I didn’t say bye to my mom but I locked the door. When I walked outside Marissa was right there. I got into the car and took a long sigh.
“Hey, so I guess you didn’t sneak out after all”
“No it’s a long story”
“Oh ok, but you ready”
“Yeah”
She pulled off slowly and it turned into speeding down the street. She turned the music all the way up and rolled the windows down.
“Slow down!”
I yelled at her over the loud music, she just laughed and went faster. My stomach started to crumble getting a bad feeling, I felt like a heartless person. I looked out the window trying to admire the lights of LA, it wasn’t working maybe this was a bad idea. Marisa began speeding through red lights. I happened to look to my right and there were headlights coming our way. This medium sized car forced into my side of the car with full force I felt the power in my body and I had become numb as the car flipped over twice. I didn’t have time to react or warn her. At my last few breaths thoughts began to run through my mind like crazy. The echo of my mom’s voice especially, I should have trusted her now I wish I could take everything back. I didn’t even get to tell her I loved her. As I took about  8 long breaths on the 9th one I knew it was over, my body sat restlessly. I never knew my death would be like this.